Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Hardly no periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hardly no periods
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question and I'm unsure what I should really do about it, considering all the health crap that is going on with me. I've noticed more and more over the last, maybe 6 months that my periods have gotten extremely weird. What I mean is, they come at the same time and once in October where I had two, other than that, they are very normal for when they come each month. What is concerning me and has been for a bit, is, I used to bleed for 2 days, then after it was just spotting for the next 2-3 days. Now, it's like, I don't have a period, I have a period but it's really nothing. To be honest, my last period I bleed less than 24/hrs (if I remember correctly I changed my tampon 3-4 times), it stopped completely for 24/hrs or more then spotted for a day and half. I find this unusual. Yes, I have some messed up health crap going on, which I'm actively getting it looked at and about 2 months of testing, which all tests came back fine and with one was was unusual but didn't strike my doctor to be concerning.

I got diagnosed with being Lactose Intolerance and I have some under-lining intestinal issues (which myself and my doctor don't know about)I feel if I bring this up with her next week when I see her, she may not find it concerning. I have a script for the Patch and doesn't being on Birth Control also reduce your bleeding? So, if this is the case, wouldn't this just stop it completely? I haven't gotten the Patch due to, well, just bills. Yes, I need to find away to get this, but it's expensive and I weighed, "should I buy my mood stabilizers or the Patch which in fact comes to the same price?" I just got my mood stabilizers. I went to the Government the last week of November seeking help in paying rent and drugs but the drug card didn't cover the Patch and I didn't have the means to pay.

I'm not sure what I am looking for, some clarification of some sort or even just information.

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Alergnon, hope this finds you otherwise well.

can you brush up with me on your reproductive health on the whole? Am I remembering correctly that you've been diagnosed with PCOS or something similar?

Also, any recent changes to what you eat -- besides, I assume, limiting or ditching dairy -- or how much you eat?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to look up what PCOS was and honestly I have no idea, makes sense to me and no I haven't been diagnosed with that at all. It frustrates me a lot that I'm going through all this crap and I refuse to go to the hospital due to all this crap, last time, the doctor basically told me, get over it and talk to your doctor about this, there's nothing else we can do. In fact I was close to going to the hospital the other morning after having a shitty night full of pain and sickness, but didn't because doctors don't see us as humans but another thing to them.

I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cysts last fall, 2011. They gave me birth control, switched it, then I moved and I talked with my doctor about this, which she gave me the Patch (pills wont work for me) and I can't afford it at this point and I was hoping when I got that week drug free of charge coverage I would be able to get it, wasn't covered and at the time I had no money, then other things came up, and ever since I've been unable to get it.

I'm not sure if what is going on with me internally has something to do with it or not, either way- it's too much for me at this point to deal with. I used to take iron pills, but as a result of this stupid stomach pain and discomfort my doctor told me to stop the iron pills because my stools were black and I refuse to go back to them and cause more grieve for me if the pills did in fact cause my stools to be black or something else.

Stress: So much crap has happened over the last few weeks and I'm still trying to deal with everything. To getting a call at work in the morning from my father letting me know my Grandma died, to taking work off, to going to the Service and Furnernal, to having it effect me last week, and now I'm this emotional wreck, then my boss talked to me about my behavior at work and the days I haven't been there, due to my Grandma to my own health and he told me if I don't show improvements in the next 3 months he will fire me, which I wont receive any benefits and I wont have a job. Bills, are killing me at the moment. Then on a personal level, M and I are great, just people are joking about us in a very rude, messed way all the way to saying comments I would never have thought someone would say.

On the lines of my medical history, things have been great, just this stomach BS has started to really get me pissed off. I can't keep working and going on with my life with sever pain to the point I'm coughing and gagging almost puking. On another level, I can't miss work for testing if my doctor does order a scope of my colon or stomach. Every test she did came back fine, just that one test of one area is high being inflamed and the other is low, so she said, shouldn't be a big problem. You know, I'm getting sick of tests. Been tested for a viral infection in my stomach, parasites in my stool, tested for just a ton of crap which came back fine. I can't do it anymore.

Eating: Complete crap. Food doesn't help or make anything better.

In fact, the pain, is mostly when I am bloated, the pain starts then my stomach literally looks like I am 3-4 months pregnant, then after a few days it goes away to my normal stomach size. I feel things inside when I am bloated and when I am bloated, it hurts. I feel things moving like pain moving to an area. For an example, I got sever pain so sudden on my right side maybe like 2 inches from your belly button, I was sniffling for 3 hours in pain and I was working. I've tried drinking teas at work, water, and food I'm not interested in at all, I'm not hungry. My doctor can't find anything and all she suspects is, it has to do with my intestines (right, so have someone look at a KM long intestines or something?) I'm very regular. I also feel stool move pass hours beforehand needing the washroom and sometimes it hurts other times it doesn't.

I've noticed I've became very, more so extremely moody and I'm not sure if this is related to my Grandmothers death or not. I hardly eat, I hardly drink anything.

What I feel: When this pain/discomfort happens this is what I feel. Burning sensations. A little tingling. Bloated and stomach looking like I am pregnant then goes away (also, this bloating comes very sudden and my stomach looks like I am pregnant and when the bloating stops my stomach goes back to normal pretty fast) since I don't drink much, I do and don't pee as much. Urine doesn't hurt when it's coming out or after.

May be unrelated but, around my period I get this most of the time and after. Also, a few days beforehand I feel when my stomach is going to mess up. I know right now, my stomach is feeling uneasy. I had my period 22nd stopped 23rd maybe a little spotting and 24th, no blood, just a bit of spotting, 25th nothing but just used a tampon because had minor spotting which stopped.

Also, I've gone without eating for a few days, when my stomach acts up, before it acts up, I go into this, "not eating," and when my stomach get this way, I eat little to nothing.

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should add, I'm eating very healthy changed a ton of foods I eat now. I do admit I do buy fries at work the restaurant beside where I work but other than that, I eat healthy.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cysts, now I remember. PCOS is an abbreviation for polycystic ovarian syndrome, often why someone is often getting ovarian cysts. Was that never a term that was brought up, or which you were given any literature about, in any of the care with the cysts in the past?

If you were given any kind of BC for treatment with those cysts, which is common, and you stopped using the treatment, it's very likely this is why you're having the change with your periods.

Ultimately, all of this sounds like something you need to keep discussing with your healthcare providers, especially given the pain you are also having. If nothing else, I'd certainly advise starting the patches you were prescribed.

Of course, if you eat like crap (you say you are in one post, then say you aren't in the next, so I'm a bit confused), that's not sound for your health as a whole, and that also often has an impact with reproductive issues. And skipping meals for days at a time is, hopefully obviously, really detrimental to your health, physical and mental. If stomach pains or digestion issues are what's keeping you from eating, that's something else you will need to address with a healthcare provider, because that needs to be remedied for both your short and long-term health.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

When I ask questions with other health professionals all they tell me is, "there not much we can do," so I ask, what I can do to help, still get the same answer. I just take it and tell myself there isn't much they can do, so I'll deal with it. The doctor I have now, she explains things better than any doctor I've been to or have been with. No one has told me much of ovarian cysts other than, Birth Control can help with that, and I've asked questions, many and gotten little to no helpful responses back. So, me, I just think, it's normal and I just need to deal with it.

About the eating like crap, what I meant was, me not eating but I have changed my diet completely, hardly have sugar, candy, fast food (which I really never had any of these) I do eat healthy but when my stomach acts up, I can't eat.

So, I should discuss my periods with her next week? And see what she can do. I know my periods aren't like life threatening just, I'm concerned about it. Should I ask her anything that would be good for me to know about, to ask her, like tests or something?

Heather
Member # 3

Well, as I understand it, one of the answers to the questions about your cysts was to prescribe you a medication, in this case, the patches, right?

If so, then if you talk to her, one of the first things she's likely to ask you is why you aren't using what she prescribed. And she'll probably suggest that until you do, and see if that helps, it doesn't make sense to keep talking about it, which would be a sound response on her part.

Do I have it right that you CAN access the patches now, per being able to afford them if you have to pay for them?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Just FYI, she's also probably not going to want to run anymore tests if she's already diagnosed you with the cysts, but you aren't taking the prescribed medication. Because, basically, that medication is an initial answer to the question of what's wrong, and what will address it. Whether it helps or not, especially when taken consistently over time, gives her information where she can know if additional tests or other treatments are needed or not.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

I'll need to see what I am being paid next week, because a week after being paid I'm going to the dentist for a check up (it's expensive but I need to get my teeth checked)I know at my cousins (moved out) some of my tax returns got mailed to that address and I'm trying to arrange a time and date with her to pick it up (which I'm having difficulty doing so due to she was out of town when I was able to pick it up, then days where I am in the area, she so happens to be unavailable) I can't just, stop what I am doing in the afternoon, that is when I relax and sleep for work. At this point, I can't be pulling 24/hrs to 48/hrs without sleep and working with no sleep when I haven't been feeling well at all.

I did call the city of Ottawa asking about reduced costs of Birth Control for the Patch, they told me to call the clinic, I got side-tracked and then the holidays came. Just the clinic is open in the evening, which means I would have to get there, leave and go to work and wait for 4 hours for my shift to start, with little to no sleep. I would go home but it would be a waste of time and money and to be frank, I'm not liking this -20 -30 weather here.

I'm going to call my doctors office asking if they have samples for a month, at least a month.

So, since my periods are like so light and not there, wouldn't this decrease it more or no?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you asking if the patch would decrease the bleeding? It's really hard to say since everyone's body reacts differently to hormones.

Talking to your doctor's office about getting samples sounds reasonable. You can also ask them if they know about options to help you with cost. Since your doctor has prescribed the patch for a health condition, it might be worth talking to her to see if there's any way to get some cost coverage.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

My doctor has given me samples regarding my stomach. She literally called me herself and told me she spoke with some of her colleagues about these certain samples and one of them picked a box up for her to give to me. I've never had a doctor call me themselves. We also chatted about my stomach for at least 10 minutes over the phone. She understands my money situation at the moment.

I just need a peace of mind with all this crap going on.

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you have a really awesome and understanding doctor who has things under control now. How are you feeling about all of this now? Now that you've spoken to the doctor, is there anything else you would like us to help you with, or do you have any other questions for us?
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

I had left work in the morning from my shift Friday morning to the hospital. All my tests came back excellent and I told the doctor that is really good news. He did an xray and dianoged me with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. He did give me a script but I'm going to talk with my doctor on the 9th about if it's what she would do. I don't want to end up paying for it (my bank account was eaten up by yet again bills for the beginning of this month) and it's not the proper one or if there is something better I could do.

I have an interesting question(s)

1: Since my intestines are to crap with the world and it is basically everywhere, wouldn't this also affect how my periods are?

2: Could having this affect my ovaries? I know the doctor said I could have had an ovarian cyst burst, Thursday night, prior to working. It's been a while since I had one burst on me, completely forgot how painful it really is. Then, another burst while in the waiting room.

3: I know the doctor had told me with the Irritable Bowel Syndrome I'm not constipated because stool is spread out and it's moving slowly through. He said, this will cause you to feel nausea. Do you know of anything that could possibly help with nausea, like home remedies or low cost?

[ 01-07-2013, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Alergnon ]

Heather
Member # 3

On the whole, these truly are questions for your doctor. Especially the ones about the IBS. Please do bear in mind that we work specifically around sexuality, sexual health and sexual relationships, okay?

But in general, as I understand it, IBS is often impacted by your reproductive system and cycles, but the opposite is not likely true. In other words, IBS will not likely impact your reproductive system and how it's working, any more than any part of our health or general well-being impacts our reproductive systems.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Okay. I'll ask her these questions.

Thank You [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

Of course. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Sorry to like, continue this, but rather not start a new thread. It relates.

Last night, I got up for work and I knew a cyst on my ovaries was going to burst. I walked out the front door and not even halfway down the street, this pressure release happened. I was in pain before, the rest of the walk, hurt. It went away for a sort time and came back. Maybe an hour and half into my shift, I got a sever sudden wave of dizziness and my vision was blurred, I felt like falling or fainting. The pain had increased before this happened.

Then, stupid me... I go online on my cell phone... and looked up, ovarian cysts and sudden dizziness. I scared myself to the point I told myself, "I'm not believing this and I do not need medical attention therefore not going to a hospital," so with the pain so sever, I felt sick and weak, the sudden dizzy spells happened on and off for an hour. I asked a co-worker for pain medication and she had advil, it took a long time for it to help.

I'm still in pain. I'm scared for another one to burst, maybe it never did, I have no idea, but this is pissing me off. I just called to make an appointment to get a ultrasound done, going Friday at 3pm.

I read that if a cyst bursts and ruptures and causes blood and fluid they would need to go in and remove the fluid because it's dangerous, is that true?

There has to be something I can do till Friday or till my doctor gets the results... I've been basically winging it with the pain and dealing with it, I can't bring myself to taking any over the counter drugs and when I do, I kick myself over it. Any Advice.

Heather
Member # 3

Hey, Alergnon: I'm only passing through, but by and large, most of the time, while they can be painful, bust cysts aren't usually dangerous and take care of themselves, even if they can be very painful when they burst. But sometimes they can create serious health issues.

However, you have been involved with a healthcare provider with this, as I understand it, so they're going to know about your cysts and you, very specifically, so again, they are the right person to call and ask about this. The same goes for asking what you can and should do until you can be seen.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.