Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Still Thrush? Not Sure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Still Thrush? Not Sure
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BustaEve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I posted previously regarding a yeast infection. I have been to the doctors 4 times over the past 7 weeks or so. I have tried various treatments, including a 2 week course of using Nystatin (Nilstat). I went back last Thursday as I still don't think everything is quite right, the doctor took a swab and said to try another 2 weeks of Nystatin twice a day, which I'm doing.

The swab results came back today, and they were clear of everything, however I'm thinking that may be because I had only stopped using the Nystatin a few days prior and maybe the cream lingered and so prevented an accurate test result.

Anyway, now I'm noticing an unusual discharge. It's a beige/brown colour, there is only a little bit and it looks like and seems to have the consistency of dried snot (apologies for the analogy, but I can't think of how else to describe it).
Any ideas on what this could be? is it yeast cells??

Posts: 77 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, sounds like a difficult long problem for you. Good on you for hanging in there with these treatments! When they took swabs, did the doctor also check for other infections like bacterial vaginosis and STIs?

It's hard to say what your discharge is. It could be normal thickened discharge for this time in your cycle. Other possibilities include infections apart from yeast, the beginning of a period or perhaps some residue from the cream you're applying. Are you returning to see your doctor after the 2 week course? It's probably a good idea, especially if this unusual discharge persists.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BustaEve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not exaxctly sure what they tested for, only that on the first swab there was "heavy growth" of candida albican, and then on the second nothing.

I was tested for STI last year and given I haven't had unprotected sex (although have had protected vaginal sex) since, I assume the possibility of a STI is low?

With fingers crossed the issue will clear up, but if not it will be another trip back to the doctor. I know this is not a major issue, and there are far worst conditions out there, but given that thrush is generally fairly easily treated, it is very annoying and frustrating (especially for me but also my casual sexual partner) that this infection is lingering for so long! Plus, I'm concerned the symptoms could get worse.

Posts: 77 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

you could give your doctor's office a call, explain the situation, and find out if they think you need to come in again. You could also ask if they tested for anything else besides thrush.

With the duration of your treatment, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the cream is still working it's way out of your body.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

so, went back to the doctor today. I had to go to another doctor though as the doctor I have been visiting is through my uni and the surgery is on holidays for 2 weeks.

The doctor listened to me, looked at the area but did not take a swab as the sample would have been compromised as I used an internal cream this morning (I didn't know I was going to the doctor today, but finished work early and luckily got an appointment).

After examining me the doctor said she did not think it was too swollen/irritated etc and there was no visible discharge (there has been previously). The doctor instructed me to stop using Nilstat (in case I'm having reaction to it) and gave me a script for a different cream, which is to only be applied if symptomatic.

The doctor said that if things were not okay then return in approx 5 days and they can do a swab and further analysis.

I guess part of me wanted to believe the doctor that everything, essentially, was okay. But thinking about it now, I'm wondering if I should have been a bit more adamant, that in fact I do have symptoms and this is not *normal* for me.

Then another part of me thinks that I'm just overly sensitive about the issue at the moment and maybe I'm reading more into 'symptoms' then necessary.

I don't really have a question, just more of an update really, and a shout-out to the universe that I hope the thrush (and any other infection etc) is really gone and I can get on with my life.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you having any other symptoms besides the unusual discharge you described in your first post? Sometimes brownish discharge can just be a little bit of old blood mixed in with normal discharge, so it could just be that you had some very light spotting.

I'd give your body some time to sort itself out and get over any reaction to the Nilstat that might be happening, and if you're still feeling that things aren't right in a few days, then check in with the doctor again.

I know how frustrating ongoing vaginal infections can be, so I hope you're back to normal soon!

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

thanks Karybu [Smile]

and yes, I thought i'd wait and see and if things are not back to normal, so to speak, I'll see the doctor early next week.

BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Back again.

My symptoms are still there, so I went back to the doctor on Friday, had swabs taken and will get the results on Wednesday.

The situation is really distressing. I feel like I'm never going to get rid of this thrush (or whatever else it may be). I don't want to have this forever!! I feel like I'm doing all the right things (except for my diet which is not great but given I have had all major forms of eating disorders over the past 10 years it's still reallt difficult for me to maintain a healthy diet, let alone cut out ALL sugar).

Plus, I have a casual sex partner, but haven't been able to have sex for 3 months and although he's been understanding, I can't expect him to wait forever.

Again, I know there are people with conditions far worst than this, I just wish I could snap my fingers and the thrush will be gone.
I often find myself in tears about it all [Frown]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi There,

I'm sorry to hear this is still going on. Medical problems that won't go away are frustrating, no matter what they are.
Wnat to talk through the aspects of this that are most frustrating and bring you to tears?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Most frustrating aspects, in order of most frustrating to least:

- the possibility that this problem won't go away for years or ever!!

- the fact that I can't have sex.
a) having to tell my sexual partner I still can't have sex

b) This frustration is heightened because if I can't have sex then I can't have any intimacy with a man, since it's unlikely I'll ever be in a relationship again. And even if I were to be in a relationship in the future, if this health issue is still prevalent that will make it difficult.

- the fact that exercise makes it worse and I really need to exercise to lose weight

- spending time and money on doctor visits and treatment and still getting nowhere

If I'm busy I don't tend to think about the above issues as much, but when I have some down time I start to worry and get upset.

I do have a tendency to have all-or-nothing thinking and focus on worst-case scenario and obviously that's not helping the situation.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're not able to engage in intercourse right now. Does that mean that you can't or aren't engaging in other sexual activities? Are there other things that you experience as physically intimate aside from intercourse?

Chronic health problems are frustrating. It sounds like you're getting some good health care. are you currently undergoing any treatment, or are you waiting for test results to determine what the treatment will be?

--------------------
Robin

BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Apologies for being such a pain about all this. I'm not use to being sick/having a chronic issue, and I'm letting it get me down.

I'm currently waiting on test results, I will see the doctor again on Wednesday and take it from there. I'm just worried this will be never-ending.

I could engage in other sexual activities and have twice with my casual partner, but it's frustrating for him too that we can't have intercourse.

Again, thank-you for your time.

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being worried about the illness being never-ending is fear talking. In fact, there would be very few people who make it past their child and early adult years who have been sick 100% all the time. So I don't think you need to worry about it lasting forever. [Smile]

Also, having a positive attitude makes a big difference to most if not all illnesses or conditions. [Smile]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hey...don't worry about being a pain...this is stressful. It's also not something that I imagine you feel free to discuss with just any random person who happens to be around.

Best of luck at your appointment. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.