Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Underwear Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Underwear Questions
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I kinda didn't know where to post this. [Razz] So... I've never worn a thong before, but I'm interested in buying a couple of them soon. I've heard that they can cause bacterial infections though, so I'm wondering: Has anyone here ever experienced negative effects (such as infections) from them? Is there a certain amount of time I should wear them or take a break from wearing them or some kind of maintenance thing I should be aware of in order to prevent that from happening?

Any input is appreciated! [Smile]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am personally someone who has experienced chronic UTIs and the related infections as it spreads, so I definitely have been avoiding thongs in my effort to curb those.

Your best bet is to maintain health in other ways (wiping front to back, drinking lots of water, washing your hands before you insert them anywhere, etc), find thongs made of breathable fabric like cotton, don't wear them when doing sweaty-making activities like exercise, etc.

Other than that - going with how your body is feeling is pretty important, since everyone's bacteria set up down there is different.

Other than that, good luck with your underpants exploration endeavors. [Razz]

[ 12-27-2012, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Alice ]

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My best advice if you want to wear them and reduce the risk of them contributing to or causing bacterial infections (which they can, because they basically can pick up bacteria from the anus way more easily than underpants not wedged tightly in there) are:
• Be sure and wipe after bowel movements very well, which you probably do already.
• Don't wear them when you might be getting really sweaty, like during sports, or when you'll be out in them all day.
• Make sure they fit you, and aren't also super-tight, which will rub that back string or strap on them more against your anus.
• Avoid those not made of natural fibers, which is always best with any style of underpants.
• Don't make them your regular, most commonly-worn underpants. For those, stick to undergarments that aren't stuffed into your butt. [Razz]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You were both very witty with talk of "underpants exploration endeavors" and regularly wearing "undergarments that aren't stuffed into your butt"! So, thanks a lot for making this less awkward to talk about. [Smile]

I'm going to the mall with my parents tomorrow (they're probably/hopefully gonna be chillin' in some other part of the mall), and I'm thinking of checking out the store that I want to purchase the underwear from. I'm only gonna buy one to be honest (even though they have a sale for buying 5 of them), since I don't even know if I'll like the feel of it or not. *shrugs shoulders* In order to make sure the thong isn't too tight against my butt, I'm wondering how can I possibly try on underwear without it being unsanitary? It seems gross to me to just waltz into a fitting room and try on underwear that other people have probably already tried on. [Eek!] *shivers* Should I just wear my regular underwear (like I would with a bathing suit) while I'm trying it on, or should I just avoid the whole process altogether and go up a size larger than I normally would in underwear?

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't try on any underwear without it being over underwear you are already wearing... usually lingerie shops even have signs saying that in the fitting rooms. Your normal size would probably work fine, and trying it on over your underwear can give you a general idea of fitting as long as you aren't wearing baggy underwear.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Phew! Oh, okay. I was getting the heebie-jeebies there for a minute. hahaha [Big Grin]

Okay, I'll try out my normal size over the underwear I'm already wearing. Thanks, Kachina! [Smile]

--------------------

Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, in my experience, at most underwear stores the people that work there can usually make a pretty accurate guess at your size just by looking at you. Every time I've asked, its worked out.
Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.