Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Neck hairs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neck hairs
SummerMermaid
Neophyte
Member # 101311

Icon 10 posted      Profile for SummerMermaid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hoping you guys accept questions like this, because it's not sexual... But still has to do with my body & i'm embarrassed by it. I'm 19 and about 3 years ago when i was 16 i noticed dark hairs beginning to grow from my neck and collarbone area. Ever since then i've plucked them and it has been a ritual, i need to do this probably once a week. It is a pain because it takes time and i also have to worry about missing any-- because let's face it, little black spiky hairs growing on a girl's chin, neck, and chest is NOT sexy! It's creepy! I've read about hormone imbalances and things. Is that the reason for it? About 4 or 5 months ago i began birth control (i've just entered college) and i was sort of hoping that it would maybe stop these little hairs from sprouting? Well that's not the case. Is this something i'll have to live with for the rest of my life? I don't really think it's something to get waxed, because they are so spread out and scarce but there are many little hairs that grow every time... Just an unattractive annoyance. Is my only option that laser treatment in the future? Is this common?? Thank [Confused] you.

--------------------
Summer Mermaid

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSandSourpatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's common, per se, but I can tell you I have a similar thing going on. I get stray, dark, spiky hairs (much like my body hair, but darker and stiffer) many places I don't want them. I pluck the eyebrow and chin ones when they show up. Sometimes it's a week or two before it starts coming back, and it's always just in the one place--believe me, sparse as they are, I can relate to how annoying they are! I tend to use a nail scissors or similar short-bladed scissors to just shorten the ones in my chest area--trying to pluck from breasts is NOT a good idea! (Tried it once as a younger lass. It was painful and didn't work. Never again.)

I've never looked into laser treatments because I'm just fine with these little bits of maintenance every couple weeks, and, honestly, as huge as they can seem to you, if they're as sparse and spread out as mine, nobody actually notices. (If you're worried about romantic partners, I can tell you mine really doesn't care about any of my body hair, which, like I said, is really dark and coarse.)

I should add that I've had this happen since long before I was on birth control, which I started in 2011. These hairs have been growing in strange places since about 2005, when I was in my mid-teens. Hopefully, knowing you're not alone in this conundrum is of comfort to you. [Smile]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have exactly the same thing, i have PCOS which is where it comes from. i find that threading helps but there is no way to get rid of them permanently
Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be a good idea to mention this to your doctor next time you see them. Coarse hair growth on your face, chin, back and chest can sometimes be related to hormone changes (like PCOS). Its not uncommon though- many girls are affected by it. Certain types/brands of birth control can help reduce this hair growth so you could try that.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.