Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Shaving and Red Dots

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shaving and Red Dots
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question regarding shaving and dots/marks.

Why does sometimes or most of the time when I shave my inner thigh (I don't shave my inner thigh a lot at most once a week or once every two weeks) and these dots, red marks show up a few hours later. I put lotion on my legs and thighs, since it is winter and dry skin happens more. It's also sore and the bump is red around it. Like there is a dot in the middle (white/red dot then redness appears around it) sometimes it's itchy a little bit but it mostly hurts, it's sore, and it's just on my inner thighs. And sometimes when I shave my pubic area the front gets red bumps but very small and they are getting annoying. Or, days after shaving they show up.

I think it has to do with in-grown hairs, but how can in-grown hairs happen hours after shaving?

Is there something I could use or try to help this?

[ 12-19-2012, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Alergnon ]

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Alergnon,

have you taken a look at our shaving FAQ?

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/003629.html

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Alergnon,

I know exactly what you are going through with these red dots. When I first started shaving my bikini line, I'd get really bad razor burn and these dots were an annoyance. Now that that part of my body is accustomed to shaving, the dots or burns aren't as bad or visible. I've noticed that if your underwear lining rubs against a shaven or newly-shaved area, redness and irritation can occur. I also get red bumps while shaving my pubic area. I don't really know how to get rid of them, but my advice would be to use a sharp razor and to wet the hair with warm water before using a lot of shaving gel. I've found that shaving my pubic area in the shower, aftr I've showered, works much better than just shaving and wetting that area alone in the bathroom.

You could have razor burn or irritated skin, but ingrown hairs can also be a cause. You can use body lotion on the area to keep it moisturized, or you could try going to bed without wearing any underwear to let the area breathe. The pubic area is sensitive I think, so maybe any kind of hair removal in that area might cause an irritation - but this is only my opinion. Use a lot of shaving gel and warm water. Sometimes I get those bumps a few hours or the next day after shaving - they're annoying but I think it's just what happens when you shave. I sometimes get ingrown hairs or bumps on my legs, but perhaps those areas are so used to shaving that we don't noticed the bumps as much or that we don't get them as much there.

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!

Thank You I will try the methods for the red itchy/sore bumps.

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.