Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Is this dangerous?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this dangerous?
xoxHayleyBabeyxox
Neophyte
Member # 93984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xoxHayleyBabeyxox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the pill and I was wondering if it's bad to be skipping the week break and going straight on to the next pack?
Posts: 27 | From: Rockin the nation from a secret location | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi HaleyBabey,
May I ask why you are considering this? It's not *dangerous* per se, but if you are doing it in an attempt to skip a period, you should know that it doesn't work like that for many women, and you could potentially experience anything from spotting or more intense breakthrough bleeding-- or even (though this is more rare, but still) bleed more heavily/intensely/for at LEAST the same duration as your regular withdrawal bleed lasts. Of course, it is as I said different for all women, so you could be fine- just good to keep all the possibilities in mind. Have you talked to your doctor about your plans to do this?

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xoxHayleyBabeyxox
Neophyte
Member # 93984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xoxHayleyBabeyxox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was having really bad breakthrough bleeding, spotting etc. Periods were really irregular. I started taking the packets back to back a couple of months ago and it's sorted out the problem just wondering if it's bad to be doing this?
Posts: 27 | From: Rockin the nation from a secret location | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI There,

There have been no studies on this for people younger than 18. The studies of people over 18 show that people who do this, having at least four periods per year, over a 3 year period did not yet have any negative health effects.

So, there is no scientific data showing whether or not this is dangerous for people under 18, or whether it's safe or dangerous for people over 18 to skip their placebo weeks/withdrawal bleeds for more than a study of three years.

I would suggest that you talk with your doctor about ways you can manage your menstrual difficulties.

How does that sound?

[ 11-16-2012, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.