Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Blocked gland? Ingrown hair? *shrug*

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blocked gland? Ingrown hair? *shrug*
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSandSourpatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last two days, I've noticed that one of the follicles just on the outside of one of my aerola has had a slight pinkish tinge on the skin maybe a half inch in diameter--like a rash, but not itchy and only mildly painful to the touch but only yesterday. At least, I'm assuming it's a follicle and not a gland, but I'm a little shaky about breast anatomy, especially as it's just on the edge of the aerola.

It's also just VERY slightly swollen. I decided to give it a gentle squeeze, to get anything that might be blocking it out. No dice. Other than that, no unusual lumps or anything, so I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear in terms of anything serious.

I'm more perplexed than anything. Like I said, it doesn't hurt at all today, and it's only very slightly pinker than the rest of my skin. I suppose it could have happened when my boyfriend and I were fooling around a couple days ago.

I'm not particularly worried--just sort of waiting to see if it goes away, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea what it might be, and how long I ought to wait before I should get it checked out, assuming it doesn't go away.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the sounds of things, you probably are just looking at an infected pore or something here. So, I'd not sweat this.

If, over the next few days, it gets more painful, or more swollen, and something like a hot compress (a much sounder approach than squeezing) doesn't do the trick, then you might want to give a call into your healthcare provider and see what they suggest.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSandSourpatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for future reference, when we squeeze things like that, not only do we irritate them more, if it's something like an infected pore, we can rupture the pore beneath and just spread the bacteria under our skin.

So, for sure, know the mammalian intuitive response when things get, literally, under our skin, is to pick and squeeze, but compresses or just leaving things alone are the better approaches. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

I've always been horrible about the picking/squeezing since I was a little kid. I know I shouldn't, and I've gotten better about it, but it's an ongoing process.

Really don't want that bacteria getting spread around that area at all, though! I'm squwerked (and yes, I did mean to type that that way) out just thinking about it! Not squeezing anymore, I promise!

Heather
Member # 3

Like I said, I think mammals, period, are inclined to do this. It's a thing. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.