Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » How to wash cloth pads?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to wash cloth pads?
artsygirl643
Activist
Member # 51449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artsygirl643     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy- I finally saved enough money to get reusable cloth pads and they shipped today! Hopefully no more irritation from those plastic chemically disposables! Anyway, I wanted to know how to go about washing them. Like do you wash it right after you use it, or wait till your period's over (but wouldn't the ones from the beginning get really stained?) I thought there was a forum where other members talked about how they wash their pads but I can't find it. Thanks for the help!
Posts: 59 | From: california | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoohoo!

There are a whole bunch of approaches to this, so maybe a few of us could just crowdsource them for you.

Personally, the way I handle this is that I rinse pads after I use them, or soak them in water overnight. I have a friend who keeps a little covered metal trashbin with cold water for this purpose.

Then I squeeze them out, hang them to dry and just wash them all when my period is over or wash them with any other load of wash if I'm doing one before then.

Pads that are made of dark colors won't tend to stain, but if you have light colored ones you want to stain less (I mean, they're menstrual pads, so it's not like it's not okay for them to be stained), one trick can be to put a capful or so of hydrogen peroxide on them before you rinse them, and let it bubble a bit. That's a good thing for blood stains, period, like on sheets, etc.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artsygirl643
Activist
Member # 51449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artsygirl643     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I store it in the bucket of water for the remainder of my period should I be concerned about harboring mold or bacteria?
Posts: 59 | From: california | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd not keep the,m in the same bucket for a week, because yeah, standing water for a week, for any reason? Never a good thing.

I'd only use that for overnight soaking.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artsygirl643
Activist
Member # 51449

Ah,got it. Thank you! [Smile] I'm so excited to get them in the mail ^_^ They have really cute ones on etsy.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.