Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Cool metaphors that help us communicate our experiences

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cool metaphors that help us communicate our experiences
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reminded of how useful cool metaphors can be that help us communicate our experiences and needs to others or just to ourselves...

I was wondering if anyone else has stuff that helps them? I'm so interested to hear what works for people!

My recent one is that I was trying to describe to someone, how I am someone who can reach rock-bottom in terms of my health and needs, and yet carry on going in a pretty unhealthy and unhappy way, for a long while longer than I should. The metaphor? Peanut Butter!

Somehow my mind grasped the metaphor that when I reach the end of a jar of peanut butter, there is always more left... I can be going along happily scooping out peanut butter for a couple of weeks... but when I reach the end, rather than shout "Help I'm out of peanut butter!", there is always more at the bottom of the jar, every time I scrape, it takes longer and longer the get more out of the jar, but there always seems to be a teeeny bit left. And so a that's what this part of me is like, that wants to be sure the jar is empty before acknowledging that some more peanut butter (and help) is needed.

It helped me so much to realise that example. It made my own feelings so much more 'real', and it even means that the metaphor can be a way of addressing some of those problems... like maybe I needed someone to help me top up my jar earlier, and to set myself limits on how much scraping is too much scraping? (Rest assured I'm dealing with all of that)... it's hard to work out some of those things just from the symptoms.

A couple of other fine examples are Spoon Theory, which an MS Sufferer wrote about their experiences here: http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

Although I don't suffer from any fatigue syndromes reading that helped me a LOT. Because it works so well. Maybe something we share on this thread could be really useful to someone who stumbles upon it.

And closer to home, we have this article discussing pizza as a metaphor for our varying relations to sex: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexuality/to_slide_or_to_slice_finding_a_positive_sexual_metaphor (to be fair scarleteen is full of such metaphors)

So yeah does anyone else have some quirky metaphor that really helps them understand something about themselves, and to let other people know?

[ 10-07-2012, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jacob, that is such an amazing metaphor. At first, I really didn't get it (when I first read that "peanut butter" was your metaphor), but speaking as someone who is always scraping the bottom of something (be it peanut butter, icing, baking materials), I clearly understood your analogy after reading. It's perfect!

I'd love to come up with an interesting metaphor, but I'll have to think a bit to see what comes to mind for me. I usually just use sayings to describe how I feel ("I've reached the end of my tether," a Frasier quote I love, or "I'm at my wit's end"), but I like the individuality of your metaphor.

Perhaps "guitar" would be a metaphor I would use, as that instrument - though I don't play one - is very dear to me. A guitar, like any instrument, needs care and attention in order for it to work well. The strings need to be changed and tuned regularly so it sounds vital and healthy - or "happy." So, if a string snaps, or strings don't get changed, or if it isn't tuned or maintained properly, the guitar will not function to its peak. It will be out of tune and will not respond the way it is meant to (same goes for when you hook it up with amps that don't work properly or when fuses blow out). Sometimes I feel like a guitar whose strings are going out of tune or on the verge of breaking - or I could feel happy and everything is going smoothly, like a nice solo on an electric guitar. So, that is my current metaphor. I'm sure other users will have other ideas, too! [Smile]

[ 10-09-2012, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah the guitar is a very cool metaphor! I know from playing to0 that things can just not sound right and I think I'm playing badly, get down about the whole thing and I forget to just check the tuning and with a little adjustment it can all sound sparky again!

(PS If you can get hold of a guitar you should definitely have a play!)

[ 10-14-2012, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.