Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Yeast Infection - Stories of Recovery

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast Infection - Stories of Recovery
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BustaEve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

So i'm currently battling a yeast infection which seems to be on/off the past month or so.

It's getting to the point when I'm feeling really down about the whole situation. I'm trying to lose weight, but I don't want to exercise as that will make the area sweaty, which won't help. My friend with benefit has been away the past month and is due back this week and I can't see him because of this infection. It's uncomfortable and I'm just feeling fairly hopeless about the whole situation.

Has anyone experienced something similar and then recovered? (by recovered I mean eliminated their yeast infection and not experienced another infection for 6 months or so). There are so many horror stories on the internet, I'm hoping someone can offer some positivity and light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks.

Posts: 77 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't offer up anything personal here -- while I've often had UTI issues that have driven me batty, I've rarely, myself, dealt with yeast -- one of my fave sets of pages about yeast infections which has been around about as long as we have is here: https://www.msu.edu/user/eisthen/yeast//index.html

I think it is a really nice approach, and might help you unpack some of your feelings around all of this. It might also give you some new ideas about treatments and preventatives.

I'd also add that I'm not sure why you can't see this person if you want to because of yeast? You could certainly still see him but just opt out of the kinds of sex where your yeast infection would be an issue.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey BustaEve, if you're still looking for personal stories, happy to share my experiences. Yeast infections can be miserable, especially when they don't clear up easily, so you have my sympathy!

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5721 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Though I can't give a personal account, my mother has had a few yeast infections and has told me about how uncomfortable they are. I'm really sorry that you're going through this, but please know that you're not alone - lots of women go through a yeast infection at some point and I read somewhwere that lots of women (I can't remember the percentage, but it was moderate I think) will have a yeast infection at least once in their lifetime. Eating yogurt is a good way to keep your vulva healthy or to promote healthy bacteria into your system. As Heather said, you could still see your partner without having the kinds of sex that would make the yeast infection an issue. [Smile] Take care, and I hope you feel better soon! Try not to feel so down! If you'd like to exercise but you don't want to overdo it, going for a slow walk might be helpful! You can wear loose-fitting clothes and cotton underwear to reduce tightness and to give yourself more air, too.

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember having a yeast infection once earlier this year. One thing that really helped me was not wearing underwear with my pajamas at night. It gives yourself some room to breathe down there.

Feel better soon, BustaEve!

[ 11-25-2012, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope your infection improves very soon, BustaEve.

@Heather, what do you think about the 'do it yourself' remedies listed on that website? Some sound potentially dangerous to me, eg. boric acid and hydrogen peroxide douches. I know they have a legal disclaimer, but still...

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BustaEve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks all for your responses.

Karybu, if you have the time and inclination to share some of your experiences that would be good.

Thanks again [Smile]

Posts: 77 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a horrible yeast infection that went several months untreated, and when I finally went to the doctor, she gave me two pills, and a few days later, it was gone. I was fine for a little while and then lo and behold, it was back, worse than before. [Frown] I know how depressing and annoying it can be. It really does suck. Anyway, I went the whole summer yeast free, great seeing that I had been taking bubble baths and swimming regularly, but as soon as I got to college, the itching started up again. [Frown] I was sick of the antifungal cures because clearly, they hadn't really worked for me. I went to my local health food store and bought some refridgerated acidophilus capsules...taking them by mouth helped my bowel more than anything - unintended side effect, hahah - but one day I decided to try inserting them vaginally, and it worked! I've been pretty okay since I think, but still, I get wary if I've started itching, even if it's probably only razor burn or something. So, I know how you feel, and I wish you the best. Try home cures if you wish because sometimes they work, but your best bet would probably be to go to the doctor and tell her the situation. She can give you a longer course of antifungal meds that will help get your body back on track. Sometimes too, yeast can come with your period, so if that's happening, you can often take some precautionary medication in the days before your period. I wish you well!
Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.