Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Worried about vaccination.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worried about vaccination.
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Icon 9 posted      Profile for NoName     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I posted earlier about my brother being diagnosed with Hepatitis A. I have had no contact with him at any time during his illness, or before, so I am not worried about exposure at the moment. The thing is, I was encouraged at my last physical (January of this year) that I am missing Hep A and B shots and that I should probably get them. Once I find out my brother was ill, it has sent me into panic mode. I never knew anyone with Hepatitis and seeing how sick he got, I am now terrified that I have not been vaccinated. I have OCD, and it is very easy for me to get stuck on a certain disease and worry about it days on end. The worst part though...is I am also scared of the vaccine too. See, I do not fit into any of the risk categories, so I really see no alarming need for me to get the Hep B shot...but the Hep A shot I am considering. Since it is foodbourne a lot of the time, it is something that noone really has control over. I do not live in an area of poor sanitation or a high risk area or anything like that, but just like my brother got it from somewhere, you can catch it no matter who you are. My aunt is a lab technician and I talked to her about this and she said because of her job, she got the Hep B vaccine but not the A vaccine. She said, that yes, if you got the illness, type A is almost always ends with complete recovery but that you are taking a risk of a really horrible sickness for up to 6 months if you were to get it. She said they are perfectly safe, and that she sees babies and children get them every day and has never heard of any of them getting a serious reaction. My brother got REALLY ill through this and had to be hospitalized (even worse for me because I have no health insurance) so I am feeling more uncomfortable not having the vaccination than by getting it.

I just need some support right now. I am stuck between being terrified of getting Hep A and also terrified of the vaccination. I hate OCD, it makes everything way more complicated and troubling than it should be. I know all the arguments for or against, and logically, I think getting the disease would be way more harmful than the shot could ever be but there is always that doubt in my mind that I would actually catch the disease from the shot...or the cells in the shot would mutate and regenerate to cause the virus. I am also worried about the ingredients too..about their ability to possibly cause cancer in the future. Though I admit, it's silly to worry about it now since I already got my MMR, polio, etc. vacs when I was a baby, and as an adult, I even got my Tdap shot as well, so I am sure those "harmful" ingredients are already in my body. This has turned me into a nervous wreck worrying about this and I am sure my aunt will call me tomorrow with prices and everything and ready to set me up with an appointment and I do not feel 100 percent secure either way.

Posts: 172 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NoName, did you ever take Robin's advice in your previous thread and approach a doctor with all of your questions?

A doctor will be able to explain to you all of the risks and benefits of a vaccine and help you make a decision.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi NoName,

You don't even need to see a doctor to find out more information on this.

This is exactly what your local Public Health department would knwo a lot about.

I'm not sure where you're getting the information about the vaccine, such as the fear that you could catch the disease from it or get cancer in the future. Can you say where you're getting that information?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoName     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not have health insurance,so I can't just go to the doctor's office any time I want to consult with a doctor. I have used the resources I have though, in the best way I can. I have been getting lots of opinions from friends I know that are nurses or in the healthcare field, and my aunt that I have been talking to, works in the doctor's office that I would normally go to if I were sick, and she is the head lab technician there. I am not going back to my local health department because the last time I went there, I felt very uncomfortable with the way they conduct services. They were very cold with me, even though I explained that I had an anxiety problem when it comes to health care. When I got the vaccination there for Tdap, the nurse didn't use gloves when she did it, and placed my bloody cotton swab right on her office desk. It scared me badly and worried me for days on end so I am NOT going back there. My father agreed to help me pay for an office visit to go to the doctor's office and possibly have my aunt administer the vaccine for me (she is the one who has always done my blood work too) if it would make me feel better. What I am really looking for here is some opinions, from anyone really, about the Hep A vaccine (reactions to it, how you chose to get or not get it, etc.) I am not looking at random crazy sources getting this information, it is just fact that we really do not know how all that stuff that is in vaccines might cause us to have cancer some day. A lot of them contain aluminum salts, diseased tissues of sick people (which to an extent I understand that this is the only way to provide the immunity), and a lot of them used to contain mercury even. It worries me that we might be pumping really harmful stuff into our bodies that we might pay for some day. Also, I saw some inserts for certain vaccines that list a side effect as actually contracting the disease. Though it is a rare side effect, it is there on some of them. What I have read, at least the Hep A vaccine is made from a killed virus and not an atenuated? one. So, that makes me feel better. I also read that it didn't contain thimerosal, so that makes me feel better too. I just thought that surely there are plenty of users and staff here who were familiar with the vaccine since Hepatitis is a part of STD testing and preventative care.
Posts: 172 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, what you're struggling with with this is simply far outside the scope of what we do and can do for users, I'm afraid. Ultimately, this seems to be about your underlying anxiety, and secondarily, about general personal opinions about vaccinating in general. (If you want mine, even living in one of the least vaccinated places in the US, I feel vaccinations do much more good than harm.)

My best advice would be to consult with whomever is helping you manage your anxiety, and then perhaps talk about the general pros and cons of vaccinating, period, with your aunt, who it sounds like you have the ability to consult for free with, who you seem comfortable talking with, and who likely knows her stuff.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to read that you're feeling so anxious about being vaccinated but also about possibly contracting Hep A. Good on your father for helping you out with funds for a doctors visit. Sometimes it can be helpful to write down your main questions/concerns before you go. As Heather said, I also think your therapist could help you with some techniques to manage your fears around this.

In case it helps you to read, I was vaccinated a couple of years ago before travelling to work in a country with high prevalence of Hep A. I had no bad reactions to the vaccine.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.