Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Making Body Friends out of Body Enemies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Making Body Friends out of Body Enemies
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've had a body part that you really, really didn't like, maybe even felt you hated, or had a bad relationship with your whole body and turned either around, how?

In other words, what was your process? What's your love or acceptance story about a body part of your body now that you've come out, or are coming out, the other side?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't like my thighs, why, simple reason is that, they are the biggest part of my body and it sticks out like a giant statue. I'm more and more accepting my thighs because I've lost some weight recently. I bought pants and they were snug and fit well, now they are falling off my hips and baggy in the thighs. I bought them 2 and half weeks ago.

I also don't like my back fat, it just doesn't look good having a glob of it hang and others can see it, but that has reduced from losing some weight.

My relationship with my body is different, I used to hate my face, freckles bothered me, but once I began to accept I can never get rid of them and grew to like them and others think it's cute [Eek!]

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great topic! I actually don't like my eyes at all - I had surgeries on them when I was little - and though they look fine, I'm always unhappy with them. Ironically, though, I absolutely love wearing eye liner, eye shadow, and mascara; so a love for those types of products has made me feel better about my overall appearance. It's still hard, but I'm working on just accepting them as being a part of me. And I've also been thinking that "me" or my identity is purely that - my soul, my feelings, and my heart - and that I shouldn't define myself by body parts or by my appearance; whether I like that part or not. I actually never talk about that part of my body, so the anonymity works well here. [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smarties
Neophyte
Member # 93271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smarties     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In high school, I used to dislike most of my body and just felt like I was fat and unattractive. Since then, I've completely changed my view. I LOVE my body now. Part of that change came from leading a healthier lifestyle. Eating healthier and exercising gave me more energy and left my body feeling more functional.

Also, discovering my sexuality and understanding it's totally okay to masturbate changed my view of my body in big ways. I realized all the totally cool, amazing, messy, fantastic things my body could do and none of them had anything to do with my pant size. This discovery also lead me to reject a lot of the culturally-instilled discomfort and shame I felt about my sexual body parts (which definitely played a part in my body hate).

Posts: 27 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really like my thighs, they're the only part of my body that I have ever really thought of as 'fat' and I didn't hate them, but was very uncomfortable, didn't want to wear shorts because of stretch marks on them, etc.
Then I went to a Physical Therapy place and during my first visit, the therapist measured my thighs and informed me that one of them had significantly less muscle than the other and that we need to fix that.
"Oh?" I thought. "That's muscle? Huh. I never knew that. So my chubby thighs are just the result of the zillion times I walked to and from the library, and up and down the stairs at my school."
So I think of them that way. It's not fat. It's muscle. And it's muscle I gained doing things I loved, so it's good enough for me.

I also wasn't really pleased when I began to get a bit of a chubby belly. Not even enough to consider fat, just enough to be a little rounder. But for most of my life I was actually slightly underweight, so when I began to fill out, I wasn't really happy. When one of my other forums had a board up about feeling embarrassed about our bodies, I mentioned that I feel ridiculous when I stand sideways and look in a mirror...my back curves in and my rear looks like a badly-placed speed bump, and my belly sticks out just enough to say "hi, I'm here, I'm gonna make you look silly in tight shirts!".
One of the various people on that site pointed out that to her, the way I described myself didn't sound silly at all-in fact, it sounds downright sexy.
Well. Flattery works. Even reading that someone thinks I look good is a pretty big boost in convincing *me* to think that I look good.

So yeah...basically, seeing what I thought were imperfections through someone else's eyes and realizing what those thighs are the result of (I loved what I did that caused them, how would I hate them) and that my idea of perfection isn't necessarily someone else's idea.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a very mild disability, which means I no longer tend to worry about the aesthetics of my body? One genetic tweak and I could be bedbound, extremely deformed, or have great difficulty doing every day things like getting up and down stairs. Considering how grateful I am that I can -do- things with my body, I'm not really too fussed how it looks. Just about how it works and feels - which is great.
Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Playing a sport I love is really what did it for me. I've always had a pretty muscular build, which made me feel chubbier than I actually am. But in roller derby, strong thighs let me explode out of the pack. A big muscular butt gets in other players' business when they try to pass (and looks fantastic in booty shorts). Broad shoulders are battering rams. And weathered looking feet are just the result of making use of that functional anatomy.

I also have tattoos or plans for tattoos on each of those former enemy body parts. The thought to make art out of them didn't even occur to me until I stopped hating them. Now every day my shoulder reminds me that I made a better life for myself, my thigh reminds me that I am capable of finding my own path, and very soon, my toe will remind me of the safety and happiness I found at summer camp as a kid and again as an adult. And the bum is being reserved as good tat real estate for whatever is next.

Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.