Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Acne in the pubic/genital region

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Acne in the pubic/genital region
Member # 64920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeAvery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've suffered from acne since I hit puberty and now I'm 20 and probably will have it for the rest of my life. My mom's 53 and still has it but that's not the issue and I'm totally okay with the fact its a part of who I am just like my love handles but should I be concerned with the fact I've been getting it on and off either in the pubic hair region on on my labia. The spots do hurt/are annoying but are infrequent however should I be more concerned? Should I consult my doctor? My main concern is that as far as I'm aware each pustule is like a tiny infection so I'm concerned how it will effect the health, hygiene and my sexual activity for that area in my body in the future.

Also I want to say before the comments come rolling in as the little research I've done about this generally come down to these: I don't shave or wax down there and I don't have an STI mainly because I'm an sexually inactive virgin so I'm 100 percent sure that its just acne spots we're dealing with as they're the same as the rest all over my body.

Also a doctor/gynecologist has never examined me down there or I've never even talked about that area of my body with a doctor before. So when is a good time to start? I know I'm only 20 and still sexually inactive but I'd rather be safe then sorry and bite the bullet you know. I'm also a trans guy but I'll deal with that complication later lol I'm very pro trans people looking after their birth genitals/defects weather we like to or not. Anyway my gender identity/expression is irrelevant so basically any incite in any of this?

Posts: 2 | From: Dublin | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you aren't sure what you have there is acne, I'd not be concerned. Getting acne around the genitals is pretty common, which isn't surprising given all the heat, lack of air and bacteria that can be going on in that area.

If you're treating that acne with gentle care -- warm compresses, some kind of gentle or natural antibiotic, no squeezing or popping -- I'd personally have no concerns about future genital health. And with things like popping and squeezing, the only big concern I'd have would be making the acne worse or a possible greater risk of things like UTIs or BV.

With sexual healthcare, pap smears, particularly, are advise for people with vaginas to start either around when they become sexually active, or the age of 21, whichever comes first. So, from the sounds of things, you can still wait. And, if you like, in the meantime, we could help see if we can't find you an option for that healthcare that was transman friendly. Outside Dublin in Ireland, I'd guess there isn't much, but by now, I'm betting we could find someone good for you in Dublin.

In other words, especially since we have some time to look, I bet we can find you someone where the experience you have with that healthcare is no more uncomfortable for you than it'd be were you cisgender. [Smile]

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 64920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeAvery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for the reply. Warm compresses is a great idea. I do them to my spots and piercings everywhere else when they need it so its definitely a option for the future.

When it comes to the healthcare side of things I could maybe ask around see if anyone I know knows anyone. I could always try Transgender Equality Network Ireland. It a part of there job to know those things I suppose.

I also have no GP at the moment which is also an issue. Luckily I'm healthy right now but if something were to happen like the time I broke my foot a couple a years ago it would have made things easier if I had a GP. So I should probably start looking for a trans friendly one of those too, first even. There is the one I had as a kid but I'm living away from home now and the prospect of coming out to him, my entire families doctor is well daunting.

Posts: 2 | From: Dublin | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

  New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3