Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Blood Clots?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blood Clots?
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying to find something on the site related to what I'm about to ask but I couldn't find an answer.

I searched, "period clots," "clots period," and "period blood clots"

The search just gave me links to Birth Control and Abortion. I was just looking for more information on it.

So my questions are, well the first one is, Is there a link about clots while on your period?

So, last night I started my period... woke up and found hardly any blood on the tampon it was in for 10 and a bit hours and in the toilet showed blood clots, on the tampon itself there wasn't really anything and I never leaked.

During the day, more and more clots showed in the toilet. I changed the tampon again maybe 4 hours later and there was this massive dark red blood clot on the tampon and still hardly any blood, there was more clots in the toilet as well. I changed it again, that time It was full of blood, it was about to over flow, that had to been about 6 hours after the last one I changed. All these times the toilet had a very red tint to the water (which is unusual for me since I never cause the toilet this much redness) I just changed it and I had it in for 4 hours, and hardly no blood on it at all but had like 4-5 small clots. The toilet water looked normal for me, like clear, urine pee.

I've gotten these blood clots before but it rarely happens. I have very light to no blood on my period so this isn't normal for me. My period lasts for a full day, the second day is nothing, third day, it stops completely. I'm not on birth control I haven't been on birth control for about 5ish months.

So can anyone help me understand about these clots? Why they happen?

I don't cramp. I don't get bitchy/moody. I do notice I get depressed more quickly before and while I'm on it I'm back to my normal self. I did notice some crampiness below my belly button on the left side, but it doesn't hurt or anything and it goes away.

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for using the search first! [Smile]

There's not, because menstrual periods don't usually clot or do so in any way anyone needs to be concerned about.

Usually, what people see and think is blood clotting is either menses that came out with some less-fluid, more clumpy endometrial tissue (which happens and is normal) or flow made much thicker or clumpy by discharge.

You're probably not seeing clots, either. Clotting is what our blood does when we have damaged vessels, like with surgeries or injuries, or, with the uterus, when flow isn't moving through but has been sitting around in the uterus (and with people with conditions like endometriosis, fibroids or polyps, clotting is way more likely). It *can* happen with menses though, so it never hurts to just check in with a doctor IF you're seeing clots -- or what look like them -- larger than your first, or you ARE having more pain or way more bleeding than usual.

But I believe you're late on some basic sexual healthcare anyway, if I recall correctly, so if you step that up, this is certainly something you can ask about during an exam.

[ 09-06-2012, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, heather beat me!

[ 09-06-2012, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay makes sense. Thank You Heather. Onionpie, your just not as fast as Heather [Razz] .

Thank You both [Big Grin]

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I have more questions.

So, I looked up, "period," in the search and clicked on a link called, "On The Rag: A Guide to Menstruation," I read the following headings,"Meaning and Menses: Where We're at With it All" and skimmed through "The Basics, Period."

I didn't find my question there, so I kept going through pages and pages and it started to get deeper in, "sex," "period cups/tampons/pads, etc." just stuff I really couldn't find and I'm unsure what other word to use for my situation since it's about period.

So when I posted about the blood clot on Sept. 6th and I started on the 5th during the late evening/night.

Here is my concern and it's completely abnormal for me and I just need understanding of what the heck is going on. So the 7th my period had stopped completely for a few hours, then on the 8th I was still bleeding, it stopped again. It stops and starts on and off since the 7th and it's now the 10th. What the heck is going on?

I still have blood clots, but they are so small. Also, my cousin made homemade juice from the juicer on the 8th, beats and carrots, a few hours after I was peeing pink (which is normal) anyways, the pinkness stopped yesterday. I know it's not related to what I drank and my period, but I'm still bleeding.

My periods last maybe 2 days and the third day it spots and stops completely. I also am noticing... it freaking stings when I take out the tampon or insert a new one not only that but when I didn't have one in and just a pantie liner on to catch discharge, I went to the washroom yesterday evening and found dark blood that was slimy and had a foul smell. I'm literally confused and freaked out by this. Last night I couldn't keep a tampon in due to it hurt... why, I have no idea. I took it out and there was blood on it, I only had it in for like 15 minutes. So, I just slept with underwear on and it felt better. Woke up this morning, and I'm bleeding and blood in the toilet, not like red but a small tint of it. I have a tampon in now, but other than that it's doing okay. I gotta say when I put it in... I heard a *pop* noise when I inserted it in, that was before I took the applicator out. That pop scared me and I felt slight stinging pain.

What the heck is going on, is this normal because I feel this is very abnormal for me considering the length and what's going on with the bleeding.

I just need to understand.

I'm noticing may not relate, my head hurts, I thought maybe it was due to not drinking enough water, but I drank more and more water, my head after still hurt.

Could you help me?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Periods don't look the exact same way every month, and it's not terribly unusual for a period to look and feel a bit different every once in a while.

As for the stinging pain, I'll second what Heather said in her original reply: since you've been meaning to see a doctor, anyway, now is a good time to do that and then you can bring up the stinging sensation during your appointment.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Okay.

I did call a number for helping me find a family doctor but I was still enrolled in a doctor I had like a looooong time ago so I was transferred to a number to dis-enrolled in them... I have to now wait 10 days for a letter to confirm it has went through, she told me I can try calling the other number (that helps you find a doctor, health connect) in 2 days... but she told me the best I can do is basically find one on my own... I'm not waiting any longer. So, I'm going to spend time looking at doctors in my area and find nothing (have looked before) and when I click on the doctor, they bring me to this unhelpful link.

Anyways, I need to go out for a bit to do errands and will be back. Hey maybe while I'm out I'll find a doctor's office who is accepting new patients...

Thank You September [Smile]

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Oh forgot to say... I called my other doctor for test results to my PAP I had done but the results weren't in when I went there the day before I had to leave. So, they told me to call tomorrow so they can ask my doctor if it's okay to release that information over the phone. I may just wait and go to a clinic or when I get a doctor... I'll see if on my way to where I am going if there is a clinic near by I can stop by and get checked out there.
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Wow... wow... Good news I found one that is literally near by, I feel dumb for not finding this before... and to boot it's on the way to where I'm going. [Big Grin]

They have a Psychologist that seems to be covered... wow...

I have to call them before I come it says...

Wow, I'm so (excited) because I was starting to feel fed up with finding a doctor and counselor...

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear that you've found someone close by! [Smile]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Okay I just got back and ate. I have good news and good news and good news [Big Grin]

So, the clinic is a walk-in-clinic from 5-9pm, so I went there before 5pm and got seen. The doctor was extremely nice. She did a PAP test for STI's and urine as well. She didn't see a lot of discharge. She said the results will take about a week.

So the same clinic is, well a ton of stuff. I have an appointment with a doctor my family doctor (new) in November. I also asked about counseling and the lady told me the doctor would have to refer me. They have nurse practitioners, social workers, counselors, psychologists, and just more and more stuff.

It's so nice because it's about a 10 minute bike ride there. I love the trail, takes you places for fast... anyways I'm just waiting patiently for my results and the doctors appointment.

Thank You [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.