Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Where's My Period (WITH A TWIST!)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where's My Period (WITH A TWIST!)
Seashell
Neophyte
Member # 97418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seashell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, let me say that I THINK I had my period. It felt like a period, and acted like a period, but certainly didn't LOOK like my normal period.

My last "normal" period was August 20 and lasted about five days, with only two days of heavy, fresh blood (normally lasts seven with three days of heavy, fresh blood). My most recent one began the Sunday before last and lasted seven days, but only consisted of old, dark brown blood. Like most periods, it was light, then heavy, then light, complete with acne breakouts and some cramps near the beginning and end.

HOWEVER...this isn't normal for me at all because have been diagnosed with von Willebrand's Disease—a type of bleeding disorder.

I have not been on birth control for four months, but have not have sexual intercourse (I DID go skinny dipping where sex may have been happening, but since the vagina is closed during swimming, and you can't get pregnant that way anyways, I'd say that doesn't count. [Razz] ).

Any idea what's going on and whether that was my period or whether I should ready the pads for another round?

Posts: 3 | From: VA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Seashell and welcome to Scarleteen.

The amount of uterine lining can vary from cycle to cycle, which accounts for variations in the amount, duration, and pacing (light days versus heavy days) of a menstrual bleed. So, what you're describing isn't abnormal or cause for concern for most people.

However, since you do have a diagnosed bleeding disorder, it sounds like it would be a good idea to at least check in with your doctor's office by phone to see if this is anything to worry about in your case.

Sex in water holds the same pregnancy risks or not-risks as sex on dry land; so if there was any contact between a bare vulva and bare penis during the skinny-dipping that would pose a pregnancy risk. If there was no such contact, it's safe to assume there was no risk.

So, again, I'd suggest just giving your doctor a call and speaking with the nurse or medical assistant--or doctor, if you can--and asking if the types of periods you've been having are anything to wory about.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seashell
Neophyte
Member # 97418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seashell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there was contact between someone else's bare penis and bare vulva, but not mine. I distinctly remembering staying as far away from that couple as possible. I have been considering getting a pregnancy test just to allay my fears, but at 22, I feel stupid doing that, because I should know better. In addition, I had the August period three days after the skinny dipping incident, so maybe I'm just a worry wart.

I have an appointment for my annual the 17.

[ 09-19-2012, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Seashell ]

Posts: 3 | From: VA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] No one else's sexual activity will cause you to become pregnant, not even in water. [Smile]

Know too that changes in bleeding during your period are not indications of pregnancy.

You know, it's absolutely okay for you to take a pregnancy test if that would ease your fears. There's no such thing as being too old to worry about something, even if we rationally know it's nothing to worry about.

If you have your annual appointment next month, it's fine, in my opinion, to just wait and mention it then.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seashell
Neophyte
Member # 97418

I knew this was the case. [Smile]

That being said, thanks for all your help. My main question was whether I had had my period or not or whether I should be prepping for the usual "mass murder" scene later, and researching online gave me the usual "OMG, you're pregnant!" answer, which was...not what I was looking for.

This is why I love Scarlet Teen. You give honest, no nonsense answers. Sex ed at its finest!

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Most glad to be of help! [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.