Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » will my breasts grow?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: will my breasts grow?
lax_g1rl
Neophyte
Member # 96469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax_g1rl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 14 and I'm going into high school. I got my period in 7th grade and I play a lot of sports; I've done so since I was in elementary school. but I pretty much have no breasts – I'm probably a 32AA-AAA. will my breasts grow?! my friends told me breasts stop growing 2 years after having your period. also, everyone else that got their period the same time as me have bigger breasts. i just need answers! thank you :/
(also, I'm pretty thin. I have muscular legs...all my friends w/breasts seem to be chubbier. just an observation)

[ 08-09-2012, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: lax_g1rl ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Puberty -- for people of all genders -- often takes way longer than a lot of people think until it's finished. For most people, they're not done with all those changes until their early 209s. For some, longer than that.

So, breast growth being finished at 14 is just not something that's even remotely likely. Most folks will still have years of breast changes ahead of them at that point. Your friends have given you false information about puberty and its timetables.

Too, what our breasts look like in terms of size and shape is mostly about genetics (and too, often related in some ways to body size, like you've noticed). So, whatever the breasts of other folks in our family will tend to have looked like, ours probably will be similar.

That all said, there's no one size or shape of breast that is or isn't a breast, or that is or isn't okay. Like the noses on our faces, breasts are mighty diverse.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67052 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breast development stopping at 14 seems very unlikely to happen.

When I was around 12-17 years old, I used to be very self-conscious about my breast size (I can barely fill my 34A bra) and I would always wish that I could have bigger breasts like other girls. According to my mom, she was the same way in high school, but now she's very well-developed; she was just a late-bloomer and her boobs didn't finish growing until she was around 19 or 20-something. I might turn out the same way (I'm 18 now) or I might not, but whatever happens I'm just glad that they're healthy.

I've pretty much accepted them for what they are and sometimes they make for funny stories (I'm pretty sure I posted this on another thread before). One time, I had a concert ticket but I didn't have a purse or long-enough pockets to put it in. My friend (who is busty) suggested that I put it in my bra. After I took the train home, I realized that it had slipped out of my barely-filled 34A bra. [Roll Eyes] The good news was that the ticket office allowed me to have another one for free. hahaha! [Big Grin]

I guess what I'm trying to say is: regardless of how much (or how little) they grow, it might take time but just learn to find things that you like about your breasts as they are right now. For example, I think to myself, "Hey, I can sometimes get away with wearing a shirt without a bra!" (one of my more-developed friends actually told me that she wished she could be able to do that) or I might think, "I know it's not possible for my boobs to fall out of this dress!" [Wink]

You know, you should check out this thread (where I'm pretty sure I posted that story): I Love My Breasts, Yes I Do, I Love My Breasts, How About You? It's quite long, but it's pretty wonderful, too. [Smile]

[ 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 269 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.