Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Pathological fear of pregnancy, just me?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathological fear of pregnancy, just me?
Laluna77
Neophyte
Member # 96396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laluna77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone.. I am just looking for some support and wondering if anyone else has the same problem as I do.

For the past couple years, I have an irrational fear of becoming pregnant. I have been on the pill for about 3 years and have never missed a pill or taken one late --EVER. Considering just that fact, I know I have a very low chance as it is. However, no matter what I do I can't get the thought out of my head that I could fall pregnant! I have a lot of teen pregnancy in my family and I am bound and determined to not be next, and I think my determination for this to not happen has crossed into an unhealthy anxiety problem.

My partner and I no longer have sex, due to my worrying. When we did, I was of course on my pill, and we used at least two other forms of protection on top of that.. and I would still worry!
So now that we are "abstinent", I still find any way that I can to worry. (Even just sitting on his lap can make me worry at times!)

Does anyone else have this problem or any advice? Thanks for your help.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Laluna77 and welcome to Scarleteen.

No, it's not just you. A lot of people, here and elsewhere, express this same sort of fear.

I have a couple of questions for you:

Do you experience this kind of anxiety in other aspects or areas of your life?

Do you think that having clear, accurate information about what does and doesn't lead to pregnancy would help you with these fears?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laluna77
Neophyte
Member # 96396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laluna77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that I have anxiety problems with my eating as well. When I cannot control what I eat, and don't know exactly how many calories are in it, it makes me very anxious. I know this is unhealthy behavior, but knowing what is right and wrong doesn't really seem to help.

Other than my fear of pregnancy and my anxiety about my weight and eating, I don't have control/anxiety issues about much else (In my opinion).

Also, although It sounds strange, having clear information about what does and doesn't lead to pregnancy doesn't seen to help as much as you would think. I would say I am very educated about sex, pregnancy, birth control, etc, and my anxiety still seems to escalate.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what you're saying, I gather that you know logically that sitting on your boyfriend's lap can in no way get you pregnant, yet you have the fear anyway.

When anxiety escalates like that, and doesn't respond to logic, it's usually a sign that we need help with it, usually from a doctor or counsellor. How do you feel about looking for counselling or talking to your doctor about this?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laluna77
Neophyte
Member # 96396

I have put thought into talking to a professional. I would just feel so embarrassed presenting my fears that are obviously invalid and irrational. I just don't understand how I can be rational enough to KNOW that my fears are ridiculous, yet still have anxiety regardless. It doesn't seem to make much sense.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anxiety isn't a rational thing, unfortunately. A good counselor will know that even if your fears are irrational, they're very real and impacting your life, and can help you find ways to deal with the anxiety. It can be tricky, for sure, to open up to a counselor or therapist (especially at first) but they're not there to judge you, they're there to help you find a way to feel better.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.