Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Managing Anxiety

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Managing Anxiety
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've searched through some of the boards, since I know a similar topic has been discussed, but I couldn't find it; so I apologize for the redundancy of this subject matter.

I am a very paranoid person. Lately, I've been getting impatient and even more irrational with my thoughts. When it comes to other people coming to me with their problems, I can usually be helpful and rational; but with my own worries and problems, my rationality doesn't work and my fears spiral to the point that I can't relax (or I can, but not for long).

Does anyone else feel this way? What are some coping strategies that you do to manage your fears or anxieties? I try to distract myself by doing things I like - praying, going for a walk, reading, writing, my favourite shows, or having a wam shower - but eventually those strategies don't work and I find myself too afraid and almost alone (which is, again, irrational). I found that coping with my anxieties were easier while I was at university, since I had homework to do and tests to study for. What ways work best for everyone?

I guess I'm looking for some encouragement and also some new ideas. Thank you for reading this post!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samfoxwu
Neophyte
Member # 76307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samfoxwu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciated that you answered my topic about anxiety earlier this week. I am still terrified. And I really don't have many solutions. I don't know what to do. All I can do is get tested again ASAP and hope for the best. I am just petrified.

I don't know how to deal with this anxiety besides getting physical proof that I don't have HIV.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry if this post has affected you in any way, samfoxwu. Please remind me: when was the last time you were tested? Do you use condoms for sexual activity? I don't know a lot about HIV, but I think open wounds can be factors because of the virus in the blood. I wish I could tell you to not feel so anxious. What I try to do is just talk to myself rationally and try to at least put my fears into context. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but the relief I do feel afterwards is worth it every time, even if it is temporary.

I'm not sure where you are writing from, but in Canada, we have free help lines for health services. You can call a health service (like Telehealth Ontario) and talk to a nurse about any medical queries you may have. I know they can't diagnose you over the phone, but they can give you pertinent medical advice. I know there are some articles here at Scarleteen about STI's, which would also be very helpful.

Take care, and try not to worry!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samfoxwu
Neophyte
Member # 76307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samfoxwu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Copper86, I was last tested in February of 2012. Since then I have had two sexual partners. Both claim to have been tested.

The first was tested and had no other sexual contact between the time of his testing and dating me. We never had sexual intercourse—I believe the risk is extremely lowered due to this fact, even if he had been HIV positive, which his testing claimed he wasn't. We did however practice oral sex without condoms.

The second was tested about a year ago and has had one partner other than me since the last time he was tested. He was monogamous with the other partner and seems to be very sure that he is clean. We had vaginal intercourse as well as anal intercourse. Vaginal was protected with condoms but anal was not, which was really stupid of me because you have more of a risk for HIV with anal sex.

I have been trying to put my fears into context but all of my symptoms also fall under acute HIV infection symptoms and it just scares me like crazy. I just don't know what to do.

[Frown]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samfoxwu
Neophyte
Member # 76307

I had my first sexual encounter with the second partner about a month ago, and had my last sexual encounter with the first in May.
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Copper! Hang in there, girly! *hug*

Well, normally what I do when I'm stressed is play my violin, hang out with friends, talk to people here like you [Smile] or talk with a best friend of mine (only if I feel comfortable disclosing information, since to be honest I normally don't. I'm pretty sure I have some trust issues).

Do you have anyone in real life that you think you could discuss your issues with?

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Copper: I echo MusicNerd. It seems that these anxieties have become a bit too much for you to handle alone.

Have you considered seeing a mental health professional and possibly undergoing treatment?

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.