Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Early/irregular period queries

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Early/irregular period queries
K83
Neophyte
Member # 80080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, firstly I think this is a wonderful resource and everyone here does a brilliant job. I am a little older than many of the users here, so I hope it is okay to post. I've found it difficult to open up IRL recently, and this seems like a good safe space. However, please feel free to see to younger users' needs before mine, that's perfectly fine! [Smile]

I feel silly posting about periods when I have had mine for quite a long time now, but they used to be pretty regular. I think I once got one 2 weeks early and that was years ago. At the moment I'm really stressed for a number of reasons and on Monday I got my period 17 days after the last one. I am always so confused when this happens, because surely a period can't start so soon after ovulation? And also, doesn't time need to pass so that there can be enough lining etc to shed the next time? It baffles me because this period is quite heavy and uncomfortable, and unfortunately googling doesn't really inform me. That's a wondering more than a question, I suppose, as I don't expect everybody here to be medical experts! [Smile]

I guess I'm worried just because I'm not sure why it has been so irregular recently. It was quite late earlier in the year (week or so) and then now it's really early. I know stress can affect this of course, but I'm fed up of having my period to be honest. When I got it on Monday, I was sobbing to my mum because I was so upset it was back. It seems pathetic to have this reaction, but I couldn't help it. I got the Pill from my doctor 1.5 years ago and never took it because I am concerned about the side effects, particularly because I have had very bad skin in the past and I am terrified it will one day be very bad again (and I know some Pills can affect this). The side effect list is huge and I know they are not all applicable to everyone, but I hate taking things unless they're absolutely necessary. I can't decide if this is or if I need to just deal with it. Am I overreacting to getting a period?!

I'm just venting a bit, I'm sorry. I have found things difficult lately and it helps to talk about even this one wee thing. Thanks for listening.

Posts: 17 | From: Scotland | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, K83, and thanks for being understanding about us putting younger people first here. [Smile]

We don't always ovulate, just like we don't always menstruate, so.

But if you're having loads of irregularity lately (for at least three cycles in the last handful), then for sure, something can be up. Have you had any other health issues or symptoms lately? Per your reproductive system or otherwise?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K83
Neophyte
Member # 80080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Heather, thanks so much for replying, I know how busy you must be. I'm in my 20s so not that much 'older' but old enough!

I didn't realise that we don't always ovulate. I feel I should have known that. Can you have a period without ovulating? I have no idea if that is what happened in my case obviously, but I'd never considered it. I thought ovulation was what 'sparked' a period, eventually. Can you tell I never did biology?

I have been a lot more irregular in the last couple of years or so. I keep track of my periods using an online tracker which is really helpful. I am generally quite stressed at the moment and perhaps for longer than I realised. My periods have always varied in pain/discomfort from month to month, and when I was in my mid-teens I got so sick one month I was prescribed medication that I now take most months just to be on the safe side. However, as I have got older, I have developed worse discomfort, in that it's sometimes uncomfortable just to sit down on the first couple of days of my period. I assume this is just another thing that happens as bodies change, etc, but does that sound like anything to get looked at? I am reluctant to go to the doctor for 'just a period' if nothing else is up.

I have also had achey pains internally after sex occasionally in the last few months, generally around the womb/ovary areas. They don't last too long but I was wondering if this had any bearing at all. I'm guessing not, but it's something else I thought of just now.

Sorry it's a bit of a ramble, I don't really talk about stuff that bothers me much so when I do it tends to all come out! Thanks for taking the time.

Posts: 17 | From: Scotland | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no worries: our user age range, on average, we aim to put first are those 15-25. [Smile]

You can have a period without ovulating, even though it's fairly unusual. It's really less ovulation that 'sparks" a period than a) all the hormones involved in the whole fertility cycle, including those which make ovulation happen, hormonal cycles that can keep happening even without ovulation, and b) not becoming pregnant, so lining that builds up gets shed. I'm assively oversimplifying, but that's the general gist.

(And even if you had done biology, unless it was for OB/GYN, you probably would not have gotten an intensive education in fertility and menstrual cycles.)

In terms of menstrual pain and irregularity, usually those things will improve as someone gets older. So, if they have gotten worse for you, I'd get a GYN checkup, if you haven't already recently. You want to find out what's up, get checked for things like PCOS, etc. that might be at the root of this. And that annual GYN care is important even when someone isn't having any problems.

Given the pain you have been having after sex and the menstrual issues, I'd say an exam is certainly warranted.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K83
Neophyte
Member # 80080

I see, that makes sense. I guess I was surprised at how heavy the period this week has been given that it's not been long since the last one. There's probably no connection there at all.

We don't really have regular GYN check-ups in the UK. If you want to see a gynaecologist you have to first go to your GP and be referred, so you'd have to probably have an actual specific issue for them to do that (then you have to wait a few weeks to be seen). I have only done that once before but not for ages. Generally we just get our smears tests done every 3 years and for anything else visit the GP (but they don't routinely perform exams or anything). My smear test is due later this year so maybe I can wait for then and see if anything else crops up. Or do you think there's merit in me visiting the GP to start with and just explaining what has been going on?

Heather
Member # 3

Well, or you can go to a GUM clinic. Marie Stopes or Brook are other options for more direct routes to sexual/repro healthcare. So, I know that with one route, it goes like you're suggesting, but that's not your only option! [Smile]

Personally, I'd not wait with this, given that you are also having pain after intercourse. That, paired with the menstrual issues, does give me concern about possible cysts -- which don't have to get serious, and can often be easily treated -- and you continuing to experience pain ideally shouldn't have to keep happening, either.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

This might be useful for you: http://www.sexualhealthscotland.co.uk/get-help/support-services-directory/

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

K83
Neophyte
Member # 80080

Ah that's a great idea, I don't know why those things didn't cross my mind. I could have done that originally and not bothered you at all! Sorry. I guess right now I am too busy to make an appointment (I am working full-time 25 miles from where I live and also writing a dissertation that is due soon) but in August I will try to. Thanks for your help, much appreciated [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Oh, no worries. Happy to give you some info and support and steer you towards what you need!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.