Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Conerns/Questions about Periods?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Conerns/Questions about Periods?
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few questions related and concerns to periods/menstrual. So, I started my menstrual cycle at the age of 9. Then, my periods would last 5-7 days. At that age I would get some cramps. About 3 years ago I noticed my periods gotten shorter and shorter and I had no cramps whatsoever. I understand that is normal to not have cramps.

Last week I experienced some pain that was sudden and fast, felt a pop in my lower right abdomen about 2 inches from my hip bone and I was fine after that. I do experience cyts on my ovaries but I guess everyone gets it.

When should I be concerned or to see a doctor about my menstrual period. Yesterday evening I was out and my period came, I rushed to the washroom when I was able to leave, I sat for 15mins and there was blood everywhere. Well, got back an hour after and changed my tampon which was completely overflown. This morning got up and found blood everywhere, I only slept for 7 hours. Is it normal for your period to be this much? I also notice the first 24/hrs or less is when it stops, and the second day it spots, and third day it stops. I've had a period last for a complete day and mild bleeding the second day. Is this normal?

I know everyone is different, but when should I really see a doctor? I remember a little over a year ago my period wouldn't stop and it was a lot, it stopped on the 8th day, I was close to going to the hospital because I felt dizzy and weak from it. Luckily I just dealt with it and it did stop later in the evening that day.

Just right now, I am spotting and I haven't been bleeding for 24/hrs yet. Is that normal?

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Alergnon,

Periods really can vary so much, not just from person to person, but in one person's body. they're affected by so much: stress, diet and exercise, illness (even mild illness like a cold), and all sorts of other things that affect the hundreds of hormonal interactions that go on in our bodies that can affect the hormonal interactions responsible for the menstrual cycle.

When to seek medical advice is really based on each individual's different needs: some examples might be: missing a few periods in a row, heavy, prolonged bleeding such as you described above, or bad or persistent pain.

The kinds of variations you're talking about are things you can certainly mention in a regular check-up, but in themselves arent' cause for alarm and an emergency appointment.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Yea, I called to make an appointment with my doctor to get some testing done regrading my iron levels (I had low iron a few months ago) and my tiredness as well going to have my blood glucose checked (diabetic)

Oh, and someone had mentioned the depo shot to me due to the patch wasn't covered, and I would get stabbed in the arm every 4 months(?) I hear that people need to drink calcium or take pills with the shot, is that true?

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so you can mention your menstrual concerns then.

Getting the shot is associated with bone loss, which is wy making sure one has enough calcium in one's diet and supplements if necessary, is important. You can chat with your doctor about whether depo provera would be the right choice for you based on your health history, and, of course, on whether or not it would be covered by your provincial insurance.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.