Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Breast Pain: Normal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breast Pain: Normal?
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi;

I usually do a quick breast exam every night to make sure I don't feel or see anything different. But I was wondering if it's normal to have breasts that are hurting before your period starts, even if that is normally not a symptom of a withdrawal bleed for me? (I say "normally" because it usually isn't; but I can't 100% say that it's never happened since I've only started examining recently).

I'm a weird sleeper and sleep on my chest, so my breasts can sometimes hurt after that. Also, I was wondering if they were tender a few days ago, so after three or four days of examining, they hurt (a nice self-fulfilling prophecy!). They're not sore per se or sensitive/tender, since I can squeeze them and they're not responding in a painful way. I've also noticed that the area right under my breasts - where the wires of my bra go - is hurting. My mom tells me this is normal too; and I do agree, but it's uncomfortable and I feel it at night before I fall asleep.

Are all these things normal? I feel kind of awkward talking about my breasts on a public site; but I wanted to check in and make sure that these things are normal.

Thank you!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cyclical breast pain -- whether you use a hormonal method of contraception or not -- is very common, and is very rarely associated with anything problematic.

So is pain from underwire brassieres and around where the wires are: you might want to check in to make sure your bras really fit you and/or look into some wireless bras that work for you to at least rotate use of.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much! I was just a little confused since I normally don't receive much breast pain. I'll look into my bra sizes and will look around to see if I can find any wireless ones.

--------------------

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sports bras, btw, are usually the cheapest and easiest solution to wireless, and they also provide good support if you need it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I know my next query doesn't have anything to do with breast tenderness; but I was hoping I could kind of tuck it in here, since what I'm asking is kind of embarrassing (though since I seem to talk to you guys about everything, maybe I shouldn't feel so embarrassed to write this!).

My period ended about four days ago and two days or so after it had ended (Wednesday or so), I've began to get really bad gas that can't really be released properly. I don't eat very consistently - I might have a lot for dinner, but I don't eat much during the day: some snacks, very little fluids other than coffee, and random stuff like bread and cereal for meals - so that kind of makes me not very "regular." I sometimes go two days without doing more than urinating; but I usually don't get gas cramps and that trapped feeling like I'm feeling now.

I've been trying to eat more today to try and fix things; and it's helping a little, but I'm just not sure what is going on. It's only off and on gas issues for the past two-three days; so I'm trying not to blow it out of proportion. I might eat oatmeal to help; but does anyone have any ideas on what else I could do? I know for sure that this is gas and not something like ovulation (and I can't be ovulating now, because I'm on a combined birth control pill). Thank you so much!

--------------------

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is a little outside our area of expertise, but it's something I happen to have some personal experience with. [Smile]

It souns like you already know that the way you feed and hydrate your body isn't necessarily ideal. And, when I say ideal I don't mean that there's only one way for people to care for themselves. I absolutely don't hold to the idea that there's one way of eating or way of physically caring for oneself that works for everyone; as we always say here, about pretty much everything, everone is an individual and that includes their body. I think it's worth noting that while what you have been doing has worked for you so far, sometimes the body can only take so much and starts rebelling to ask you to make some changes. [Smile]

When it comes to bowel issues, three things to consider are fiber consumption, water consumption, and exercise.

So, looking at what you've said here, I'd say your first move might be to start drinking more water.

It also might not hurt for you to do a little research on what alleviates gas and constipation. Of course, you always want to evaluate what you read to make sure it's a credible source.

And, I would of course be remiss in saying that if these gas pains do persist a visit to the doctor is in order. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you so much for your knowledgeable response! I know this isn't exactly what Scarleteen specializes in; so I really appreciate your in-depth response! It made me feel better.

I've definitely started drinking much more water; and I'm going to try and improve my diet a little (maybe cut out a lot of the cereal/grains I eat, and concentrate more on fruits). I did a little bit of research on alleviating gas; but I want to be more thorough. I also want to try and eat more foods that are high in fiber. I was just really concerned. I may sometimes feel like this other times; but never off and on gas like this. It just feels so embarrassing and weird to explain!

Thank you again for your help, Robin! [Smile]

--------------------

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're most welcome. As I said, sometimes our bodies just decide enough is enough, even if it winds up being painful or embarrassing. [Smile]

Adding more fiber to your diet is good. Just remember to do it gradually or you'll have more bloating and pain. ..and especially drink lots of water when adding fiber-rich foods. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.