Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » I Want a Tattoo But Parents Are Against Them

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Want a Tattoo But Parents Are Against Them
Eleanor R
Neophyte
Member # 95592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eleanor R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!
I'm 19 years old and I want a tattoo on my back.
My parents have always been very strict and basically control my life.
I mean I am 19 right?
I don't know, I've always been afraid of standing up to my mom.
She still controls my life and I almost never go out with friends.
I've only hung out with friends about 4 times through all my life.
I have also since I was about 12 wanted my ear pierced at the top.
Just on one ear.
But again my mom doesn't approve.
What do you suggest I do?

Posts: 12 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, sounds like the issue here is bigger than ink or piercings, but about transitioning into adulthood.

Ultimately, in our teens, what's supposed to be happening is that we're gradually separating more from our parents in the respect of being a dependent child to becoming our own person, an adult person.

It sounds like you are saying that process either still hasn't happened at all, or is very stalled out for you. How about starting to work to get it going, like by looking into moving out on your own, socializing more, etc?

Not saying ink isn't okay -- it'd be very silly for me, of all people to say that -- but it's also expensive, and if you feel unable to have your own life or separate from your parent at all, that money might be better spent on something that helps you do that more.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor R
Neophyte
Member # 95592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eleanor R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just afraid of confronting my parents about letting me be more independent.
Posts: 12 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, then how about we talk about some baby steps? Some ways you can forge out more on your own, transition into your own life, that aren't likely to be HUGE conflicts.

Who knows, maybe a tattoo is one of them, maybe that is something you really want to do for yourself, and once done, it won't blow up at you.

But if not, what can we think of that is less of a big deal? How about going out socially more often gradually, for instance?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor R
Neophyte
Member # 95592

I was thinking about the tattoo and I want a small one on my wrist instead. Just a small bird but that might freak them out so yes maybe going out with friends more might work better.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think, as Heather said, that in this situation baby steps are probably the way to go. If your parents have always had such strict control over your life, something like a tattoo is really a big step - and, in my experience at least, it doesn't matter where the tat is or what it's of, it's just the fact that it's there at all that can create problems. (Plus, any sort of permanent change to your body like that is something that deserves a lot of consideration, parental issues aside.)

Going out a bit more, socializing a bit more, sounds like it would probably be a great first step for you. In your first post, you say that your mom is very hard to stand up to - if you want, we can talk about that a bit and maybe brainstorm some ways you could open up a conversation about this with her.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor R
Neophyte
Member # 95592

Yes my mom is the strictest of my parents. She's the only that "rules" the house you could say. She had a rough childhood I suppose. My grandpa was always very strict on her and my uncles and now everything my grandpa did to her she is passing to me I guess.
She is always yelling at me and my siblings, she can't take a joke, she's just very strict.

cooldude20
Neophyte
Member # 95362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cooldude20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you should probably ask your parents what their concerns are about you getting a tattoo this can be very very concerning to parents because basically they are probably worried about wheather the needles have been sterilized and also you should let them know that you can be independednt but you have to prove that first. Hope this helps
Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.