Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Feeling Guilty

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feeling Guilty
Maebe1
Neophyte
Member # 68727

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Maebe1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I guess it falls into the "soul" category so I'll throw it out there.

I was wondering if anyone out there has dealt with excessive guilt? It started for me when I was a little kid. Around Christmas time I would start confessing everything I had done that year that I felt was wrong (which for an 8 year old didn't amount to much). It wasn't so much a "Santa won't bring me any presents" thing so much as it was (and is) a time of year where my family always comes together and really enjoys and appreciates each other and I felt like I didn't deserve it if I hadn't been perfect.

I eventually grew out of it, but in the past few years it's crept back into my life again. I am constantly dealing with guilt over my inperfectionism and sometimes things I haven't even done. Most recently, I saw a photo on the internet of a poor animal being mistreated. There is obviously no way to source the photo or even know when/where it came from. But I feel guilty like I should be trying to find it or go to the police or something. Which logically I know isn't possible.

I feel so much for everything. I just don't know how to handle it but I'm tired of feeling guilty all of the time.

Does anyone else experience this? I'd appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 5 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey MaeBe1: I'm sorry to hear you're struggling right now. Have you talked with anyone about these feelings of guilt? Like a counselor? If not, would it be something you may consider? Sometimes when we're dealing with our own feelings about things it can be really difficult to work through them on our own,so some form of in-person support can be a great tool in the battle.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maebe1
Neophyte
Member # 68727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maebe1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Stephanie_1. I've actually talked it through with my boyfriend and am feeling a lot better. It helped to write it out last night too. Sometimes its easier to get perspective when its all out in the open. Thanks a lot for the advice [Smile]
Posts: 5 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome [Smile]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.