Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Advice for coping with Anxiety?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice for coping with Anxiety?
belladonna
Activist
Member # 35546

Icon 11 posted      Profile for belladonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is primarily a sex ed board but I wondered if anyone on the boards has any tips for dealing with anxiety? In the last couple of years, I feel like I've increasingly become anxious about certain things, most especially my job security. I worry about things that I can't really control (such as my work visa, contract renewal, etc.) and obsess about the What Ifs until it really starts affecting me and others. I talk to my boyfriend and friends about my worries a lot, and they are very kind and they do listen... but there is only so much they can say before I start all over again. I seem to never take stock in the positive things they tell me, because I always think they are just saying things to make me feel better or don't really know what they are talking about. [Frown] I have been trying very hard to break this cycle, but it has really been tough for me.

I should probably seek therapy or talk to a counselor, but at the moment I am struggling with my finances and can't really afford to do so. I just feel like I've made a mess of my life in the past year or two. What should I do to get back on track?

Posts: 130 | From: hong kong | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whilemyguitargentlyweeps
Activist
Member # 70059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whilemyguitargentlyweeps         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I think I can relate.

I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder earlier this year, and ever since I can remember, I've had high anxiety. It sucks, and when it's at its worst, it affects my friends and boyfriend and makes me generally unpleasant.

While I do see a counselor, I don't go as often as I probably could, and my anxieties flair up frequently enough that I need to find an outlet. I have a few friends who don't spend a lot of time near me (I'm at uni, they live far away) and don't know any of my friends at uni/aren't familiar with most of my problems here. I've realised that talking to these people really helps because they can give me a sort of outside perspective, much like a counselor could. It's refreshing. Do you have someone in your life who can do that for you? If not, we can definitely help you over here if you're comfortable.

Additionally, do you have activities that can take stress away? Sometimes doing something relatively mindless (washing dishes, walking a dog, tidying up) can help alleviate stress. Exercise is fantastic, too. I've been going to the gym most mornings, and that's helped me a lot.

hope that helped a bit!

Posts: 42 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
belladonna
Activist
Member # 35546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for belladonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your response! I was away for the weekend... but thought I would check back on this thread since those feelings were creeping up on me again.

I know what you mean when you say the anxiety affects your friends and boyfriend. I do have friends who have been great to talk to, but I feel like they are growing tired of hearing me harp on the same old fears. I can't blame them... I KNOW I have a problem.

I do have activities to try and take my mind off things, but inevitably the thoughts pop up in my quiet moments. [Frown] Maybe I'll try more exercise and hope that helps.

Again, thanks so much for posting!

Posts: 130 | From: hong kong | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whilemyguitargentlyweeps
Activist
Member # 70059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whilemyguitargentlyweeps         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to help!
Posts: 42 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have anxiety too! I love knitting and going on walks. Basic stuff. I want to try more exercise as well. A therapist would certainly have even better ideas, but I understand if it's difficult to find one due to finances..do you have a library where you can check out some self-help books about anxiety? Googlebooks has a lot as well!
Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.