Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Choosing Birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Choosing Birth Control
schroeder
Activist
Member # 73255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for schroeder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(This post is directly related to questions Heather posed to me in another post.)

Pregnancy prevention is very important to me because I know that I don't want to have children at this point in my life and am unsure as to whether or not I ever want to have children. I want to have the types of sex that pose a risk of pregnancy but I want to mitigate the amount of risk as much as possible.

As far as shared responsibility goes, I feel like both partners should share the responsibility because they're both consenting to engage in those types of sex. As far as ideals about types of birth control, I'm partial to non-hormonal birth control (condoms, withdrawal, copper IUD etc.).

I feel ready to have a sex life which includes the risk of pregnancy because I have thoroughly considered the consequences and possible outcomes and decisions I would have to make if I became pregnant. I have also discussed these topics with my partner.

If my partner managed his anxieties on his own, or didn't have them I think I might still consider an IUD if I could choose my own health care provider and was comfortable with them. I would never ask a partner to do something that caused them anxiety or pain to control my own anxieties.

But I don't feel like my partner was asking me to get an IUD either, I think he thought that it was a decision that I had reached on my own and he was just trying to be supportive. When I told him I was unsure of whether or not I wanted an IUD and what my motivations were he was still supportive and said I shouldn't be doing it if it was just for him.

If I got the IUD and it didn't change the dynamics in our relationship enough to make a difference I think I would still be glad that I had gotten it because when/if the dynamics did change or if I had a different partner it's an excellent relatively worry free way to prevent pregnancy.

Posts: 90 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, reading this, sounds like the IUD is a method that, regardless, it makes sense for you to be considering, and one that might be a good choice and fit for you regardless of your current circumstances.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
schroeder
Activist
Member # 73255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for schroeder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think so, but I think this time, rather than rushing in and trying to have it done as quickly as possible, I'm going to try to find a provider that best suits my needs. I mentioned before that I couldn't afford one, but now a close family member who I confided in has very generously offered to help me pay for and IUD.
Posts: 90 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said the first time, that strikes me as a WAY better plan.

And how cool is that about that family member!?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
schroeder
Activist
Member # 73255

Now I do have some questions about how to find a provider that would meet my needs. I've never had to find my own doctor before because I've always gone to student health and been assigned a doctor and before that when I was a kid my parents chose one for me. I'm probably going to go to the hospital associated with my university but I'm not sure how to go about it from there.
Heather
Member # 3

Sure.

So, if you think you are probably going to seek this out through that hospital, I'd see if you can't find the number for their OB/GYN department. Then I'd call, say you are looking for a provider who is skilled at IUD insertions, and ideally also with nervous/anxious patients who have a history of pain with speculum exams. Then I'd see what they say or who they suggest and follow up from there.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.