Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Hypersensitive smell around period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hypersensitive smell around period?
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My period is late, but not desperately so - I can understand why as the school year has started again and my routine's changed, so I just have to wait for it to start. My question is to do with how it's affecting my sense of smell. I woke up in the middle of the night last night by a smell I recognised as the meat I ate for dinner, and couldn't place where it was coming from. I cleaned up after I ate, my oven and refrigerator were closed, as were both the doors between my room and the kitchen. I had to get the air freshener out before I could get back to sleep.

I haven't really noticed this happening to that extent before, but it does happen a little. Is this a common period symptom?

Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, heightened sense of smell could be a hormonal thing.

Something to remember - after we eat food, it still exists in our stomachs for awhile. You could still be smelling/tasting it from that.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good to know. I was pretty sure it was a hormone thing, but it was a bit unnerving when it was happening. Maybe I should cut down on meat around my period if I get this effect again?
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.