Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Male perceptions of cunnilingus and fellatio

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Male perceptions of cunnilingus and fellatio
gourlegr
Neophyte
Member # 50375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gourlegr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I was wondering why guys are so quick to brag about getting blow jobs, but are very reluctant to similarly talk about going down on girls. For example, when talking to some teenage boys in my high school, they were all proud to boast about the blow jobs they've gotten. However, when I brought up the subject of cunnilingus (my favorite sexual act), everyone was very quiet and tried to change the subject. One even said eating out was "unmanly." However, talking to these guys privately revealed they also liked cunnilingus, but didn't says so because they thought other guys would mock them.
So my question is, why are males so ashamed of eating out females, even when they love the act?

Posts: 5 | From: South Orange | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's start by making clear that you haven't heard this from "Men," as in, the group of all people in the world who are men. You've heard it from some boys in your school, who don't and can't represent men as a whole.

So, when you ask, "why are males so ashamed of eating out females, even when they love the act?"

My answer is going to be, "To my knowledge, they're not, but what men enjoy also varies. Some men do love engaging in cunnilingus, others are lukewarm, others aren't into it at all. And how men feel about it varies, too." because that's what I know from the information we do have about this from men as a much, much broader group than one group of teenage boys.

But about that group? One thing that's important to recognize is that for a lot of people (not just men), peer groups like that aren't exactly supportive spaces for free discourse about sex. In other words, there are often peer group norms in terms of what gets talked about, how it gets talked about and what is and is not supposed to be cool and okay. And in male peer groups, especially with very young men, there are often a whole lot of masculinity issues and posturing flying around, which those guys made pretty clear to you in your private conversations about this.

What that tells you is more about that peer group than anything else, even if those dynamics are pretty common with groups of young guys. What it doesn't probably give you any information about at all is how they feel about anything sexual, if you catch my drift. In order to know that about someone, you usually have to share safer space, like it sounds like you may have had alone in those private discussions.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.