Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Changing My Life?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Changing My Life?
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Confused One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I start, a little about me. I'm 17+, will be 18 in Dec. I started college in April. I don't have a good relationship with my parents; I can barely talk to them about anything that I need, etc. I'm 100% a couch potato; I never exercise, I stay indoors all the time... and my health isn't all that pink, if you get my drift. My house is very messy and to find space where I can lay on the floor is... well, impossible...

I have a busy schedule. But I've managed to create a time table that will at least help me do stuff that I've never been able to do before. Yes, I'm pretty much very lazy [Razz]

I've come to the point where I'm starting to feel conscious about myself. No, not about body image or low self-esteem. To sum it all up, I'm a weakling. I'm probably one of the weakest person on earth. And I want to do something to change this.

I know, exercise will help me solve almost all my problems, but how do I even start? As mentioned above, my house is not a safe place to do exercise, well, except for the bed, probably... And solutions like going for a walk every evening is not possible either. Again, as mentioned above, my parents are very strict. I'm an only child and female. I'm not allowed to go out of the house without either of my parents. Even with my mum, my dad wouldn't let us go on a walk alone (overprotective? Oh yes.)

So my situation right now is, that I'm grounded, but not really grounded... Well, it's LIKE I'm grounded, but without the rules and stuff. Only place I can go is this house, and college. Which means all I can do is stretching in the house... and at college, I've NO idea where I can do exercise... o.O

I also don't know what I should do first, since I'm so weak that I don't have the energy or even will, most of the time, to start anything. Any suggestions or ideas?

Second thing I wanna address is my menstrual problems. A few months ago, I created a thread somewhere (I'm senile! Help! Can't remember! XD) talking about how I can't see a gyno. Well, great news, I still can't [Smile] . My parents don't believe in seeing doctors (well, mainly my dad), especially if I'm fine (in THEIR view). So it seems like it doesn't really matter if a visit is gonna cost over a 100 ringgit or FOC, I still won't be able to go to a gyno. My parents are just that, stubborn. Trying to talk to them also failed, so, not gonna try again.

Now, back to my problems. I have heavy periods, but I've managed to live with it for the past 7 years. Same with painful cramps. But what I want to know, is if theres a way I can lighten my period or relieve the pain? Or just deal with it better so that I don't have to worry about getting up after sitting and having everything just... well, you know, flow...? My diet is well, meat. I hate vege. If it were cooked better, I just might take a liking to it, but here in Malaysia, especially the food in college, vege is HORRIBLE. I can't bring myself to eat all that soggy, oily, vomit-green looking stuffs. What can I do to combat this?

I have an electric hot pillow, but it's a bit too heavy and huge to bring to school with me (my bag is huge enough, with all the stuff I bring just in case, thanks! D: Yes, I'm paranoid >.>). Also, it doesn't really help the pain, even when at home. I've even tried many times, to sit and watch a movie with the hot pillow on my abdomen, and try to forget about the pain that way, and the pain increases o.o I've really no idea how a hot pillow can help, tbh.

Next would be gastric. Everytime I have my periods, I would wake up in the morning with a gastric. It doesn't matter if I ate till I was bloated the night before, or starved myself and skipped dinner. Without fail, I wake up with a gastric. Is it the way I sleep? Because I tend to sleep VERY straight and still when I have my period. My body must have consciously stayed that way because then, I don't leak and stain the bed, if I stayed absolutely still. Yes, I've only begun to do this for the past couple of years. Before that, stained bed mania!!! [Big Grin]

But anyway, why do I get gastric? How can I stop getting gastric? o.O

Erm... that's about all I can think of right now... Still quite a lengthy post, hehe >.< I love typing, it seems...

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

Posts: 131 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there Confused one,

It sounds like you're having a really tough time with your parents keeping you home so secluded as well as these health problems. At the same time I feel like you're still being quite positive and looking for a way round things which is really really great and you should be proud of that.

I understand you may want to be doing more exercise and eating healthier and dealing with some health issues, but really it sounds like your parents are massively restricting you, and really finding a way round that would be what I'd think is the first thing to handle given they've not helped you get access to doctors in the past whatsoever.

I'm also not sure what you mean by gastric... I'm guessing you mean stomach pain.

What's the situation around you? Is your family usual in the area where you live? Do you live near any public facilities like hospitals etc...

I'm sorry to be so unfamiliar with malaysian law but just reading up on wikipedia it says that you're subject to either sharia law or secular law, depending if you're parents declare you muslim or not. Where are you in that?

This might change what access you can have to certain legal rights or how you might be treated, I really don't think your parents are respecting your rights at all.

Is there anyone, like a teacher or another student you could reach out to?

I'm also wondering if you have ever thought about how or when you might want to be away from your parents and leave home, is that something you've planned for?

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Confused One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tbh, this has been going on all my life. I'm pretty much past that venting and raging stage. All I feel now is just slight depression and not a care in the world for my parents. I love them for being my parents yeah, but not for who they are. And since I'm past that venting stage, all I want is just to try and improve my life in a way that would not need to involve them as much as I can now. I'll get the necessities done when I'm truly on my own and stuff.

Gastric would I think be gastritis? Or something... I dunno, it's the pain you get when you skip a meal or a few and your stomach immediately below your ribs hurt really badly.

As for the situation around me, what do you mean? This is pretty much a suburban area, so to get to a hospital would mean driving. And besides, parents won't let me step out of the house either, so...

Malaysian law is quite weird. Some things are based on the Muslim religion and some aren't. I'm Chinese, with dad a Buddhist, mum a Christian and me a free-thinker. So I don't think any religious laws apply to me. I think the parents SUSPECT that I'm a free-thinker, but I've never told them, so I don't know if they really know. They haven't brought up anything about it though, so I'm not gonna bring it up lol o.O I'd rather not have another Christian lecture from mum, thanks.

I'm quite dependant. Well, I'm pretty much brought up that way, so. My parents still treat me like a lil kid. I want to show them that I can strut my stuff, but they won't let me, so I no longer bother trying to make them happy. Which is also bad for me, as I'm not learning how to be independent either, but well, it goes in a circle. They won't let me but complain about it = I don't listen and don't do anything about it = stay dependant = them complaining even more and so, treat me even more like a kid... You get the idea.

Teacher or student, nope. I don't trust anyone around me enough to let them in to my life. I've always been a loner. I've seen and interpreted how others act with things THEY are not used to. Heck, I don't have any true friends who are supportive of my LDR.

I have respect for teachers, but I don't feel any connection with any to talk to them about stuff like this. I've tried once with the school counsellor when a guy tried cornering me and asking for my number and that session alone was scary. That was my first time to a counsellor and probably my last. (I always knew they were scary, damnit! xD)

I actually planned to continue my tertiary studies in UK last year (last year was my last year in high school). But then the school fees shot up threefold and it was certain that my parents couldn't support me in UK. So I had to make do with continuing my life down here. Dad promises to let me do my degree in UK next year IF I manage to get a full scholarship for my foundations results, but, as I found out from an admin staff in college, theres no such thing, so...

Unless I find a way to pay 10k£ a year in school fees for 3-4 years and on top of that, living expenses like rental, clothing (no winter here!) and food and probably a whole lot of other stuff, I don't think I'd be able to get away from my parents easily.

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

Posts: 131 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Something else that I just remembered to add. I'm a very forgetful person XD Yes, it's ironic that I just remembered to mention being forgetful. But thing is, being forgetful is starting to irritate me.

I'm having my period now (second day) and I'm currently trying my hardest to finish my assignment (yes! another last minute assignment! D: Anyone wanna help? *unsure*). Which means I'm sitting very still on my bed and not moving. Which also means that I forgot that I have my period and forgot to go to the bathroom o.O

So what happened was that I moved my sitting position to avoid cramping up my legs and woosh, quite a bit came out >.< I had to rush to the bathroom while holding up my underwear, as if to hold the period in... yeah, a bit silly XD. It helped a bit but I still managed to make a mess. So my question here is, how do I stop being forgetful to avoid this? Or well, back to my question of is there anything I can do to lessen the flow?

Another thing I always forget and is making a huge impact on my life, is drinking water. *goes to gulp down some water*

Yes, I forget to drink water. Funny, that I LOVE drinking water but forgets to drink... The result is that VERY I'm dehydrated and often get headaches and cramped muscles, especially my thighs and calves. Is there a way I can continuously remind myself to drink besides actually remembering? >.< Like, making it a habit to pick up a bottle of water and drinking.

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tuition fee increase is a big problem, but as far as I knew the International student fees were already much higher than those for British or EU students unfortunately. But as far as I thought there are scholarships out there but they are few and very competitive.

Forgetfulness is something I deal with and I think it helps me to have something to fall back on, a kind of plan you could try charting your cycle for example.

I use google calendars quite a lot, it's really helpful...

For me the main priority would be making plans for leaving home. You may be dependent on parents for some things, but you're also not able to depend on them for other things. I really think your autonomy, your ability to go where you want to go, leave the house is something as important as having food to eat and water to drink, and it's something they're not giving you.

Did you ever hear back from a Malaysian Reproductive health organisation I saw someone reccommend to you on a different thread?

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

No. They never replied back. I pretty much gave up looking for a way to see a gyno atm.

My cycle is pretty much regular now. Though it seems to keep getting late, for some reason... Must be the stress. But eh, it's to the point where I know which day is the worst and stuff. It doesn't need intense charting anymore. I just need to mark the first day and I'm set. It's really more of forgetting to go to the bathroom often enough. As well as the fact that I can't keep leaving a class/lecture to go to the bathroom for longer than usual and miss out on a lot of notes, etc.

As for the fee increase, yes, it was still higher than locals before, but now it's worst. My chances was 60% and after the increase, dropped to 10% -.-

I wouldn't know where to go or how to start leaving if I were to plan it. I don't have any income or pocket money (my dad believes in putting in say 10 dollars in my wallet, I use up 3 and the next day, he'll put back another 3). Also, if I leave, my parents just might stop paying for my current school fees... Which would be even more of a bummer

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you need to consider stepping outside your comfort zone and asking someone for help in person, like a teacher. I know you say you don't trust anyone enough, but can you see how that's not helping you?

What do you have to lose by asking someone for help?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

I'm not very good at listing down my problems vocally. I don't usually dare approach anyone to tell them of my problems (usually because people come to ME with their problems o.O). I'm also afraid of letting a teacher know and they in turn, tell my parents about it. While it might make a change for the better for my parents to know how suffocating it is living with them, I don't think they'd care to understand. My parents are the type to... well, not care.

I HAVE tried getting their attention a few months back, when I WAS feeling suicidal, but all they did was give me a news article on people becoming suicidal -.- As if I didn't already know WHAT suicide is...

Well anyway, what can someone in person do to help without telling my parents? I see very limited options there

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask why you think a teacher would tell your parents about you asking for help and support with your home life?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

I dunno. I suppose in college, it would depend on if the teacher knows my parents or not. It's a habit from secondary school, to not trust a teacher with issues like these. They tend to erm... blabber... Yes, even the counsellors -.- Which is why the college counsellor was my very first visit. That also reminds me of the scary part ._. I'm just not used to revealing my life to someone face to face

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

Heather
Member # 3

You can always ask anyone you talk to, before you talk to them, if what you want to share with them is something they will keep private.

And yes, it can be scary to open up to people. But it sounds like things right now are pretty scary as they stand, and have you feeling really awful.

If you want to change them you're going to have to ask someone for help in person who can help you. It's one of those things we talk about when we talk about taking positive risks: doing things that are risky in some way, but which are most likely to be beneficial.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

I guess I could try and see if I could talk to the counsellor again >.> I think it's best if I first get my thoughts straight though...

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

Heather
Member # 3

How about your first start just by asking if your privacy will be respected? That way, you can take a step to just get started, rather than putting it off.

You don't have to know what you're going to say to a counselor in advance, period, but all you need to know to take one step to get started is if you can have their reassurance about your privacy. If they say you do, they can explain those protections, and then you can make an appointment.

One of the toughest things about feeling stuck, especially when you have for a long time, is not staying in being stuck, and learning to take small steps to change things. It can be way to easy to feel overwhelmed if you imagine you need to try and do everything at once, and that doesn't make any sense anyway, because you don't, and probably couldn't even if you wanted to.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

I suppose that makes sense... I'll still have to wait till next week to even ask about privacy though. Dad keeps getting medical leaves, leaving me no time alone at school to do stuff like visit a counsellor. And that is if he doesn't get yet more medical leaves >.<

I'm glad that my dad is able to pick me up easier from school cause he's on leave, and which means I don't have to stay back, which is what I kinda don't like. But sometimes, I feel like the only way I can get my own time alone is by staying in school... really conflicting there lol

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

Johann7
Activist
Member # 29754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johann7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This website, Sisters in Islam, might be a good place to begin looking for resources and support organizations that would be able to support you in gaining some autonomy: http://www.sistersinislam.org.my/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=4&id=59&Itemid=297

I don't know enough about Malaysian law or social systems to provide much help there, but I can give some recommendations on how you can exercise in extremely limited space, even on your bed. Isometric exercises are going to be your best option for strength training; some styles of yoga incorporate isometric strength training, but there are also plenty of exercises that aren't part of any sort of more formal system. You can get some more information by looking through these Google results: http://www.google.com/search?q=isometric+exercises

You may also want to look at exercises that use self-resistance (pitting one limb against another for resistance, as with clasping one's hands in front of oneself and pulling, one arm working against the other) and calisthenics, which are dynamic exercises meant to be performed in limited space with little or no apparatus; some of these can also help with cardio-respiratory training, as can things like jumping jacks and running in place.

Best of luck to you!

--------------------
Robble Robble Robble!

Posts: 46 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Thank you, Johann. I'll look through those links after school. I never dared try yoga. I was always afraid of twisting my muscles or breaking bones from overdoing it... o.o

But, good news! Dad recently bought 4 weights of 0.5kg each recently to help with his nerve problem. On Monday, my thighs cramped up like crazy, so I borrowed all 4, held 2 in each hand and bent down as if to touch the floor. All I did was let the weights pull me down, while I kept my knees locked. Man, it felt awesome! I didn't used to be able to do that because when I try forcing myself to bend, my knees refuse to lock o.o

Also, is it okay if I put off any counselling till after July? My semester ends at the end of July and I'm pretty busy with exams and assignments. My timetable is also likely to change, so I think it's better if I start in my second semester, when things have calmed down...

[ 06-28-2011, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: The Confused One ]

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Just half an hour ago, I was making my lunch in the kitchen. A minute after I started, I suddenly got dizzy, short of breath, and my head felt like exploding. I felt like I was going to pass out. I immediately turned on the fan and squated on the floor. It took quite a while, but I finally felt able to stand up. I quickly finished making my lunch, grabbed an isotonic drink and quickly headed to my room and laid down.

I researched on google a bit and found out that yes, it was because of dehydration. I really need to address this problem of forgetting to drink water o.o Any ideas?

I just got a new smartphone, but can't find a reminder option to beep every hour or so to help remind me, so I don't think this is an option...

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

Aela
Neophyte
Member # 71398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Confused One, I've been reading through your posts. I used to (and still sometimes) get the dehydration symptoms you have. I've been told by a doctor that when it happens you're inclined to breathe quicker, which actually makes it worse, so, try to take slow breaths if you feel dizzy again.

What smartphone do you have? I'm quite familiar with most of them so I can help with using it. You can get apps with reminder features, but most smartphone calendars work well for that. If you add an event to a day you can tell your phone to repeat the event daily or however frequently you like and to remind you at a set time.

So, say you wanted a 'drink water' reminder three times a day. You would pick tomorrow and put in 3 events (they'd probably need different names, so maybe put 1,2,3 after their name). Select for it to repeat daily, then put in a different start time for each event, say 9am, 12pm, 7pm. I don't know if all smartphones will allow a reminder at that time but they all should allow something like 5 minutes before, so either have the 1st reminder go off at 8.55am or just change the event start time to 9.05am, etc. The end time doesn't really matter, just put half an hour after. I think you can put as many of these in a day as you wish, if you want advanced features, get a highly rated reminder/calendar/to do app.

As for periods, I honestly tend to be able to 'feel'/tell when I need to go to the bathroom to change pads. I'm just aware of it. Is it something you ever notice and could try to be more aware of?

A possibility is to wear a bracelet to remind you. That might sound strange, but you say you're studying a lot and not moving but I assume moving your hands. A bold bracelet would regularly catch your eye, if you associate that with drinking water and checking your period is ok(or anything else), it could help remind you regularly.

With period pains, mine are terrible too. Do you use painkillers at all?

Best, Aela.

Posts: 3 | From: North of England (UK) | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Hmm. When the rush happened yesterday, it wasn't so much breathing quickly. I remember breathing calmly. It was as if no air wanted to go through my nose to my heart and so brain. The feeling was quite similar to when you hold your breath to the limit that you can at a dare or something. I'm wondering if the fact that I started making lunch at 3pm contributed o.o (was napping and couldn't wake up XD)

I'm using a Galaxy mini. And yeah, I worked out using the google calendar... took me whole afternoon to set every half an hour >.< I was looking more like the alarm that you can set on digital watches, the hourly one. Except, this time, I can label it and so actually remember why it's beeping o.o

As for my periods, no. I don't get anything like that. I'd just sit still for hours until my womb can't hold more and it starts trickling down >.> Yeah, I don't really know how to handle periods. I try my hardest to keep my pad clean to avoid any leakage >.< This is if I'm sitting at home. At school, I just stay still for the entire class or 2, if the next class is right after the first and in the same room. That seems to work, so >.> This usually leads to bad thigh cramps ;_;

The bracelet idea sounds interesting. I'll think about it, thanks [Big Grin]

Yes, I use painkillers, but I hate pills. And I don't like the idea of becoming a drug addict by accident. So if it's not painful until I'm in tears, I don't take any and just try to ignore it. Very bad idea because I'm never able to concentrate on daily life. Which is why I really want to find another way...

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

Aela
Neophyte
Member # 71398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand how you feel about pills, many people feel the same. I prefer not to take them but I make an exception during my period (it's honestly the only way I cope!). I take ibuprofen because I think it's one of the safest options and is very effective for me. I don't know a lot about drug addiction but I think only some drugs can become addictive and ibuprofen isn't one of those. So, if you do need to take them, I think you're ok. [Smile]

Good to hear you got the alerts set up!

Can't you change pads at college? Forcing yourself to sit still (and lie still at night) may work but it isn't very good for you - especially with the thigh cramps and gastric pain it's causing.

I used to sleep really still at night during my period - lying on my side and I wouldn't move for hours. I used to feel SO achey in the morning! I tried using bigger pads at night and relaxing, it worked and I'm fine now. Another idea is a period blanket, which you lay under you at night during your period. You can buy them online (eg from Lunapads) but you could easily make one, say from fleece or old material. That way, you leak onto the special blanket, then you put it in the laundry. Nothing damaged and your parents don't even have to know [Smile] . I'm planning to make one for myself!

Posts: 3 | From: North of England (UK) | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

I still don't like pills >.< They cause me nausea.

I take AGES just to change, due to my paranoia and heavy flow. I tend to make sure no more blood comes out before getting up, packing and going off. So I'm always afraid of loosing notes and stuff in a lecture.

I use the biggest pad available on the market at night... o.o I still leak if I'm lying on my side. It's like the cotton just can't absorb fast enough before everything is out and on my panties/bed. Yes, I only use wings. The wings HELP, but not by much >.< I sometimes consider buying adult diapers for night use >.>

As for a blanket, erm... I have a baby blanket perfect for this use. Don't even have to put it in the laundry right after use cause it's waterproof material type. Problem is, my parents have no idea where they left it >.< I'll try to egg them into finding it before my next cycle, lol >.>

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.