Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Swelling, itching labia..??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Swelling, itching labia..??
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 11 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the gynecologist yesterday after waking up to just having an itch that turned into extreme hard swelling and redness. I noticed it started on the labia minora and worked its way to the labia majora. then before I knew it everything was swollen on the left side. the last time this happened was 3 weeks ago and the swelling wasnt nearly as bad and went away in 20 minutes. The swelling I had yesterday lasted about 2 hours as it gradually went away as if nothing had even happened in such a short amount of time. When I went to the gynecologist she told me there was no sign of any infection or anything. She said I have an allergy to something weather it be lotion, detergent,etc. so I was given a perscription for an external cream. I had actually taken photos to show my gyno because my vulva had swollen 10 times its original size and I was extremely worried. By the time I had gotten to the gyno all the swelling had gone away with the redness.....She said it has to be an allergy for it to come and go so fast as if nothing was even there... its totally bizarre. I looked at different things online and is it possible for a Bartholin Gland Cyst to be reacting this way? Do they cause the come and go itching and swelling? I really need advice. thanks

--------------------
Sometimes the only thing we can do is accept what we have no control over.

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seemed like alot of the swelling reduced after I took a shower. I havent tried ice, but the hot water reduces it.it seems like after i wear tights that i'm really itchy down there afterwards ..

--------------------

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello [Smile] . Bartholin Gland cysts and infections are commonly seen by gynecologists and they should be able to pick them up on examining you. If she thought an allergy was most likely, I'd use that cream for the recommended course and go back to her if your swelling/itching persists or worsens. Nylon tights and tight underwear can cause itching even for people without allergies so I'd aim to wear loose fitting cotton clothes and use a covered ice pack for relief. I'd also avoid disposable pads if possible.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, My work requires that we wear the tights, so I may be stuck. thanks so much for responding [Smile]

--------------------

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it seems like the tights are contributing to the problem though, it may be something you have to address. You could try finding tights that are made from natural fibers. I know they make 100% cotton tights for children with eczema...which makes me think you could probably find them in adult sizes as well. Or perhaps a 100% cotton or bamboo legging instead of tights? Another option might be thigh highs or stockings with a garter belt.

At the end of the day though, you want to start eliminating things that are common allergens so that you can better get a handle on what might be causing it. If getting rid of the tights is a problem, start with the easier things. Go dye-free & fragrance-free on your detergents and fabric softeners. 100% cotton on the undies. Gentle, fragrance-free soap (I like Cetaphil because it's also non-detergent). No body sprays, scented wipes, etc. on that area. You might even start keeping a food diary to see if you can track a reaction to a specific food product.

If you eliminate all of the potential causes and nothing seems to change it, head back to the doc for a note that indicates wearing the tights is causing an ongoing health issue for you. Generally employers will work with you at that point to address it if something in your workplace or uniform are causing a health issue for you.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Thanks for your help and advice [Smile]

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.