Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Milk bleb?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Milk bleb?
garammasala
Neophyte
Member # 54378

Icon 5 posted      Profile for garammasala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I have what I believe to be a milk bleb on my right nipple from oral breast stimulation during intercourse with my partner. It looks like a little white hard spot in the skin of my nipple, and I've had it for several months now. Lately it's been feeling a little dry with mild itching. I went to see my gyno today and was told that I could choose to aseptically drain the bleb, or to leave it alone and avoid receiving stimulation on that breast during sex in the future. I was told the bleb will take a long time to go away; several more months at least. I am not a mother and have never been one -- that is, never pregnant and not breastfeeding.

I'm putting this post up because I'm curious to see if anyone else has had this problem? And if so, was the problem resolved, and how? Some tips and pointers (pun not intended) would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Posts: 9 | From: United States of America | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the GYN suggest it was a bleb, also? Not something like an otherwise infected or irritated duct?

Did this doctor also explain why they were suggesting you could not have sexual stimulation of that breast?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67928 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garammasala
Neophyte
Member # 54378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for garammasala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Heather!! Thanks for getting back to me so quick!

My gynecologist said "bleb" first; I wasn't sure what it was so I initially described it as "a little white spot on my nipple that I've had for several months now." After she took a look at it, she said she usually sees this among her breast-feeding mother patients, although it is not unusual for sexually active females who are not pregnant to have it as well. It does not look infected or irritated because there is no redness or swelling (unless I've been fussing over it)around the nipple and on the breast; also, when she palpated the area, I felt no pain. It really looks just like those pictures online of breast feeding women with a "milk bleb."

Her suggestion that I leave that breast alone and wait for it to go away on its own is because the sexual stimulation from my partner sucking on it was triggering the release of prolactin from my brain to get the breast to initiate milk production.

Did that answer your questions? As of now, my partner and I have agreed to lay off on the oral stimulation on that breast for the time being and just do some light massaging at most; also, I have been massaging it during my showers in hopes of making the bleb smaller and go away faster. If you know anything about this, I would appreciate what you can tell me. Also, feel free to ask me more questions if I am still not being clear about my situation.

Thanks so much! Hope to hear from you soon.

Posts: 9 | From: United States of America | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds, then, like this may just be a fluke. Your GYN sounds to me like she knows what she's talking about.

By any chance, did she also suggest also using hot compresses?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67928 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garammasala
Neophyte
Member # 54378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for garammasala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Heather,

On a side note, I'm a little bummed to see that my situation isn't as common as I initially hoped it would be. A hot compress sounds like a great idea! Come to think of it, my gyno might have mentioned something of the sort; and given that the bleb isn't exactly right near the surface of the skin, I think applying heat with massaging and avoiding the drainage via a sterile needle is currently my best bet.

Thanks for your time and helpful questions. If you hear more about this in the future, I'd be ever grateful should you get back to me on it.

garammasala
Neophyte
Member # 54378

Update:

After many a hot shower followed by short nipple massaging & pressing sessions (in my attempt to hopefully coax the whitish "milk/pus" looking bleb closer to the surface) in the steamy bathroom afterwards, I found a weak spot in the skin tonight and got the bleb to open up to me. I probably shouldn't have done what I did, considering that my gyno told me not to mess with it. Oh well. Too late for that.

There was a little blood (few small dark drops; possibly due to the blockage), but I kept applying gentle but firm pressure to the head of the nipple and managed to milk out a lot of thick creamy yellow-whitish pus-like substance. The only thing was that it didn't smell like pus (I wasn't brave enough to taste it, so I can't report back on that) normally would, so I am suspecting that it is what my gyno initially said it was: milk.

I kept going until I hit the clear lymph fluid. I wasn't able to clear out everything from the bleb, but the lymph fluid told me that I had probably reached my quota for the night and should try again some other day. Then I washed the breast in warm water with soap, gently patted it dry with my bath towel, and then applied a dab of triple antibiotic ointment (containing bacitracin, neomycin and polymyxin B) before bandaging it up before bed. As of now, I'm still a little sore from the operation, and I plan to be on a keen lookout for signs of infection from now on, to which my gyno will certainly be among the first to know. Given the prevalence of MRSA infections out there, I would really NOT like to have a staph infection on my boob from this.

Wish me luck.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.