Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » How do you know...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you know...
LifeEnColor
Activist
Member # 51950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LifeEnColor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you miss your period because of your birth control or because your birth control failed? I know my birth control (Losestrin24FE) can give me shorter, lighter periods and can also make me skip a month or so. Last month I didn't even need to use panty liners because I barely spotted for a day. My period *should* be coming within the next four days or so, but what if it's so light this time I don't even spot? How am I supposed to know if I technically had my period, though there was no bleeding, or that I'm pregnant??
Posts: 112 | From: Upperstate NY | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have been taking the pill as directed, you can be sure that it's working as it should and you are not pregnant.

However, if not having a withdrawal bleed makes you feel a bit insecure, you can also go ahead and keep a couple of pregnancy tests around. That way, you can just take a test if your withdrawal bleed stays away, to make sure that everything's okay.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LifeEnColor
Activist
Member # 51950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LifeEnColor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick reply. I take my pill at the same exact time (down to the minute) every day and I think the only time I was late it was by maybe an hour at the most.

With the pregnancy tests I'm not sure though. I'm at college in the middle of nowhere and the closest town is a half hour away and I don't have a car. The only other place I could go would be the nurse on campus and I doubt they'd give me multiple tests to store away. And even if they did they would charge my student account and my mom would see I bought a bushel of tests and...it wouldn't be very good.

Are there any other signs I can look for to realize I'm on my period and not bleeding? The pill really helps with my cramps and back pain-I used to miss school a lot because of how severe the pain was and now have a prescription pain killer for them. Any other little signs?

Posts: 112 | From: Upperstate NY | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.