Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Urethral Opening

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Urethral Opening
Member # 46576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenhplver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if the last topic I posted on this was unclear or in the wrong section.

I was curious about the raised area of the vulva in most diagrams where the urethral opening is located. Is it normal for the urethral opening to be located above that, like, very near the clitoris, directly under it? And, if the urethral opening were located there (not where it normally is on diagrams) then why would the area shown on the diagrams where it usually is still be raised?

Posts: 9 | From: None ya beeswax! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, your post was not inappropriate at all! It was temporarily removed because another user had posted an inappropriate reply to it. I am so sorry that you were not notified about the removal.

It can sometimes be a bit tricky to transfer information from a diagram or a drawing to your own body. But unfortunately, there is only so much we can do to help with that, as it's just as difficult to understand what you're trying to explain without the visual. So, the best thing you can do is make an appointment with a gynecologist and ask them to help you understand your anatomy better. They'll know their way around, and be able to answer all of your questions.

Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
greenhplver: That post change was my oversight, I'm sorry.

I suspect, just FYI, some of what you're seeing when it comes to that area appearing raised in diagrams is shading in order to make it obvious that it is there since the urethral opening is so tough to see. A lot of diagrams of the vulva are pretty odd, honestly, and not especially accurate. At the same time, vulval appearance varies so much that it's impossible to do just one that's really going to look like everybody.

I do think talking to a GYN who can see you is the best bet, but if you want to look at our diagram and talk about what you mean, happy to see if we can help. That's here:

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could be wrong but I think the vulva vestibule (the bit that contains the urethral opening and the vaginal opening) seems to be a bit bumpy in different places on everyone I've seen; I used to not know why I had a bump and others were more flat-skinned there...

'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 46576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenhplver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh, ok. I guess it's just different for everyone.

P.S. Just curious, what'd they say? O_o

Posts: 9 | From: None ya beeswax! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.