Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Anxiety/depression?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anxiety/depression?
Chel
Neophyte
Member # 50487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I have recently thought that I might have an anxiety disorder or depression...

I had a pregnancy scare when I didn't even have intercourse, I cry pretty frequently, panic often, have illogical thoughts that stick in my mind for days, have reoccuring memories of bad things in the past and am pretty iritable... Also recently after my pregnancy scare I have had light periods (not pregnant according to my tests), change in my eating patterns, and some trouble sleeping.

Not sure, but could it be possible?

Thanks a ton.

--------------------
Chel

Posts: 15 | From: ... | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chel,

What you're going through sounds pretty distressing and I'm sorry you're going through it. These can sometimes be signs of mental illness like depression and stress. Who do you have in terms of friends and family that you could talk to about this? What do you do to relax and enjoy yourself? Are you still able to do those things?

What do you think about seeing a counsellor or a doctor about this? They'd be able to assess how you're doing fully and also to direct you to any local resources.

Best wishes, hope you start to feel better [Smile]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chel
Neophyte
Member # 50487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

Thanks for the response.

And I do have family and some really great friends, but I'm hesitant to tell them.

I'm afraid that they'd either think of me as a disappointment, or worse, think I was kidding and brush it off.

And I do have things I like to do, and I still do them, but i've been really stressed out this year and I think its starting to get to me, especially after my pregnancy scare.

I also thought about seeing a doctor... but i'm really not sure where to start or who to ask about that.

Thanks again for all the help.

--------------------
Chel

Posts: 15 | From: ... | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chel,

I would suggest that you would start with talking with your regular Dr. I don't know your situation but, if it applies, you may also want to check with your school's nurse/health clinic because some schools do have counselors available. They may be able to help you decide if you might have something going on and would benefit from pursuing further assistance. They should also be able to provide referrals if needed.

I don’t know enough about your relationships with your family and friends to make appropriate suggestions. I will make a general comment which I hope would apply, if any of them have been supportive of you at other times of trouble, then I would suggest talking to them too. I would also hope that they would think that asking for help is a positive. Let us know if the situation is different for you than what I just referred to and then we can go from there.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
If one of your really great friends confided in you and told you they were feeling like this, would you brush it off? Would you think of them as a disappointment? Or would you perhaps be glad they trusted you and want to support them? If we don't give people a chance to support us, we never find out how good it could be.

It's common, not really knowing where to start. But when you do go to see someone, as Dan has suggested, you could mention the types of things you talked about in your first post.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.