Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » most random situation...ever

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: most random situation...ever
eileenmarie
Neophyte
Member # 49425

Icon 11 posted      Profile for eileenmarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is going to sound pretty strange...

But okay, so I'm in my first year of a medical course and we are studying bacteriology currently. Today, in practical, we had to look at our own mouth plaque under a microscope (too much fun).

Now I know this is not diagnostic in any official way, but my plaque slide showed fungus (possibly candida) along with loads of white blood cells. The bacteriologist lecturer kindly pointed these findings out to me.

I have no symptoms at all of any sort of oral fungal infection (normal tongue, no lesions as far as my untrained eye can see) and therefore don't see how any doctor would diagnose or treat me for an infection. However, upon doing further online research (always a mistake) I learned that oral candida generally only happens with those immunocompromised (HIV, cancer treatment patients) or those with uncontrolled diabetes. I feel pretty certain that these options are not possibilities, though I'm reconsidering the amount of sugars I take in daily upon learning about the diabetes thing.

Is this something I should pursue with a doctor even though I have no symptoms or should I just wait and see and hope it's something transient that my immune system will deal with.

I am majorly perplexed and honestly, somewhat embarrassed. It's not terribly fun to find out you have oral fungus in front of 15 colleagues, but oh well. I just don't know why I have it. I was also wondering if it could mean I have some symptomless vaginal yeast infection that I spread to my mouth? [Frown]

I realize that this may not be within scarleteen's realm of counseling but I guess it's more a matter of asking what you would do if you learned such information in such a bizarre manner. And you guys are the only online message board I find I can trust. So thanks, always.

Posts: 9 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you had general checkups through your life? How long has it been since you last had one?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eileenmarie
Neophyte
Member # 49425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eileenmarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to my gp about three months ago and had bloodwork done...everything tested for was normal, including blood glucose levels. I generally go about once a year, but all I have done when I go is general bloodwork to make sure my wonky thyroid is behaving itself properly.

I go to the dentist every six months for a full cleaning and check (last time: about three months ago)...everything normal as far as they were concerned.

Posts: 9 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you're good. Really.

It was probably just about something you ate that day still hanging around in your mouth. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eileenmarie
Neophyte
Member # 49425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eileenmarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thank you!

Now I can get back to studying for a major final I have on Friday...eww. Nothing quite like finding out you have mouth fungus to throw a wrench in the study focus.

Heather
Member # 3

LOL!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.