Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » UTI?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UTI?
BriAnne86
Neophyte
Member # 48343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BriAnne86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I've posted before that I had lost my virginity and got a UTI as a souvenir (ha)...well I was on antibiotics for that, and about a week later I was fine.

Well about a month after that I went back to visit the bf and of course has sex again, probably 5-6 times over the course of 5 days. I tried to be careful this time by cleaning up before and after, as well as urinating after, and even having him wash his hands before (didn't worry about the penis since he wore a condom anyway).

However, I'm still paranoid about having another one. The day I left, I used the bathroom and thought I felt a little burning, but not like I did with the first one. This felt almost more like I might have had some chafing or something, and the urine just made it burn some. Other than that I had no symptoms (no frequent urination, no sudden urges, etc).

The next day (the day after I got home), I didn't feel any burning but I did notice that my urine had a slightly different smell. It wasn't cloudy though. So as a precaution, over the next several days, I drank nothing but cranberry juice and water to try to possibly flush out anything that might be building up.

It seemed to help in that I no longer has any "symptoms"...no more smell, nothing.

Now, about a week later, there are times that I use the bathroom and, while it doesn't burn, it just feels like there is a bit of pressure where there didn't before. And just tonight, my urine had that different smell again. I'm not really sure what to make of it. It doesn't "feel" like my last uti, but I'm not sure what would be causing my urine to have that smell. I'm not on any meds except BC, and I'm not sure why the smell would clear up for a few days and then come back. For the last nearly two weeks I've been drinking nothing but water (and milk and such, but no sugary drinks).

Is it possible to have a uti without really having any symptoms? And for future reference, what is the time frame that a uti would show up (after sex)? Like is there a certain amount of time that if no symptoms show, then I'm probably "safe"?

I'm probably going to be checked out anyway just because I know I'll worry myself to death until know for sure, but I just didn't want to waste the time and money on a doc visit if I probably don't have one.

Thanks!

Posts: 34 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ohmyohmyyy
Neophyte
Member # 45240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ohmyohmyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, as someone who has had a fair number of vaginal and urinary tract infections, if you're not experiencing serious burning when you urinate, you're probably okay.

The body often gets surprised by new bacteria when you start having sex with a new person or a person you haven't had sex with in a long time. This could be the reason you got a UTI the first time. But, as far as I know, there's no defined time frame for UTI symptoms to show up. But again, I'm no expert.

If you're still nervous, definitely get checked out. There's no harm in seeing a doctor to make yourself feel just a little bit more comfy.

Hope you feel better!

-A

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BriAnne86
Neophyte
Member # 48343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BriAnne86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks...that's what I thought too, about the burning. I mean last time it was like BOOM! Uti...and I definitely knew it. I could barely use the bathroom because it hurt so bad.

I was just worried that for some reason I didn't show symptoms and then it would be getting worse to the point where it was really, really bad...though I imagine if it got THAT bad, I'd know. I came home on Nov. 14 so it's been a little over a week since the last time I had sex. I just wasn't sure if the uti would show up within a certain amount of time or if it could show up anytime, which also had me worried.

Posts: 34 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ohmyohmyyy
Neophyte
Member # 45240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ohmyohmyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't stress dear. You should be golden. Just make sure you go to the doctor as soon as any symptoms do appear so that it doesn't worsen.

UTIs from sex doesn't usually happen regularly but if you find that you are getting them frequently, try seeing a gynecologist so they can help you figure out what's up. Using condoms can help prevent the spread of bacteria too so they're always a good idea as well.

I'm glad you're feeling better!
-A

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.