Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Nervous about going to get birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nervous about going to get birth control
samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samanthamt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I'm 20 years old. I've had a pap smear before, but now I'm terrified of getting one. They've always been painful for me and I know its because I don't or can't relax. How can I get over this fear? I'm scared because I know its going to hurt and plus I'm very modest and just feel totally humiliated in those stupid paper gowns.

--------------------
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 104 | From: U.S | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you sat down with your doctor before getting changed to let them know that you're nervous and having trouble relaxing? If they know beforehand, a good doctor will go slow, and let you know what they're going to do next. Things like deep breathing can help you relax too, and you can talk to your doctor as well to see if they have any ideas about what may help.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samanthamt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm having to go through the health department to get the birth control. The last time I went the nurse did everything but the exam. Basically the doctor walked in, did the breast exam and the pap smear and walked out. Didn't introduce herself or anything. I guess I just need to be assertive and ask to talk to her beforehand.

--------------------
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 104 | From: U.S | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see how that would be an uncomfortable experience, and that was pretty unprofessional on the doctor's part. It would help if you could speak up beforehand - you can also speak to the nurse and let them know your concerns, and ask that the doctor be told before meeting you that you're nervous.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Thanks for the advice [Smile]

--------------------
-Abraham Lincoln

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

You're very welcome. [Smile]

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.