Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » how much is too much?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how much is too much?
Piano Girl
Neophyte
Member # 47248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Piano Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been masturbating since 7th grade, usually once every couple of nights, but it's evolved to the point I am doing it multiple times every night. I'm worried about health issues that might surface from this and that I will get too used to this feeling that when I have sex I won't enjoy it. [Confused]
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as you aren't masturbating with anything unhygenic or with something or in a way that could injure you (and I'm not talking about occasional soreness, I'm talking about masturbating with sharp objects or something electrical and non-waterproof), there's no risk to what you're doing, unless masturbation is interfering with the rest of your life (say if you're skipping class to do it), then there's no problem. If you don't want to masturbate or don't want to masturbate that much, you don't have to, but there's no health risk.

As for the enjoying sex thing, while it's true that we can become accustomed to orgasming from a particular method of stimulation, that doesn't mean we can't learn to orgasm more than one way. It takes many people time to become orgasmic during partnered sex for all sorts of reasons, and even if you never did orgasm from partnered sex, that doesn't mean you won't enjoy it, because enjoyment of sex is about much more than orgasm. Sorry for the TMI, but I've been masturbating since about the same age you have and I really enjoy having sex with my partner. Finally if by sex you mean intercourse then roughly 3 in 4 women don't orgasm that way, requiring clitoral stimulation to orgasm, and this isn't because they masturbate "too much" it's because of the way their bodies work.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redrover
Neophyte
Member # 47630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redrover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally have to back Jill2000Plus up here.

You won't cause any health concerns or not enjoy sex later on because you've been masturbating, no mattter how long you've been doing it. It may even make sex better as you'll know what you like and can show you partner!

Scarleteen.com has amillion advice questions posted about this very issue (just search 'masturbation' on the site) and there's a great article piece about why loving yourself first is one of the best things you can do (what I was trying to find for you when I searched for 'masturbation')

--------------------
xoxo

Posts: 11 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.