Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Why don't women need to rest after ejaculation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why don't women need to rest after ejaculation?
Tarnished
Neophyte
Member # 28681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarnished     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scleteen's Facebook group posted this article; orgasm differences (to impress others at parties) - http://enagoski.wordpress.com/2010/04/10/orgasm-differences-to-impress-others-at-parties

There was a quote in particular that made me think; "Since women don’t ejaculate, no refraction happens."

Women do ejaculate, grated it is pretty different to male ejaculation and has a different purpose, but why don't we need that rest period after ejaculation?

My understanding is that ejaculate comes from a gland near to the urethra that becomes erect during sex and ejaculation is the fluid that drains from there......is it the fluid that causes the erection? If so wouldn't you then lose that when you ejaculate? I guess erection isn't needed for us female folk, but what is the function with ejaculate......why does it do that? Why if we're so similar to men didn't we end up with some shut-off after sex?

Posts: 14 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tarnished: I agree that Emily's sentence there was inaccurate.

But women don't have refractory periods, neither with orgasm nor ejaculation.

Erection in the male or female body isn't caused by fluid besides blood: erection happens because of blood flow to the genitals when we become and remain aroused.

I'm not sure anyone can answer the question of why women don't need a refractory period, because that's one of those things where we'd need to see the blueprints for your human design. [Smile] However, I'd suggest that what's likely is that since ejaculation or orgasm isn't part of our reproductive function like it is for male-bodied people, that's probably why.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylady
Neophyte
Member # 40138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the lack of a refractory period really true for all women, though? After my orgasm, my mind sort of turns off "aroused mode" (although my body still feels aroused - I guess it's proof that the mind is the largest sexual organ) and further stimulation feels nice, but doesn't really go anywhere.
Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One doesn't need to have a refractory period to simply feel done with sex at some point. In other words, women not having a refractory period doesn't mean women want sex 24/7 or feel aroused 24/7.

As well, not everyone, or everyone every time, is capable of multiple orgasm or wants that. Plenty of people are done with one or feel done with one.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylady
Neophyte
Member # 40138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But if you (the general you, not you personally) aren't capable of further orgasms, doesn't that make it a refractory period? Sorry if I seem obtuse here.
Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Not per how you're describing, no. By technical definition, a refractory period is the time after a neuron fires or a muscle fiber contracts during which a stimulus will not evoke a response, or, specific to sexual response, the time after orgasm during which it is physiologically impossible for an individual to have additional orgasms.

If you are female bodied, you're not likely actually physiologically incapable of orgasm for a given period of time, it just hasn't happened for you. With male-bodied people, even though that period of time varies, they are generally physiologically incapable.

But obviously, there are semantics involved here. If you want to call that your refractory period, I don't see why you can't -- I mean, it's not like your sex life is being used for any studies -- but I also think you don't need to call it that to make clear that you're unlikely to orgasm again for a while, you know?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.