Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Bras?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bras?
Spelaea
Neophyte
Member # 46489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spelaea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me what exactly the point is of wearing a bra?

I've been wearing one for a number of years now, but I have always been given conflicting information as to why exactly women are 'supposed to' wear bras.

I've been told a range of things, from 'it's for support', and 'so your breasts won't sag', to 'to stop your breasts from jiggling around, because that looks odd', and 'to cover up your nipples'.

I've also heard that bras can cause back and neck problems, squish your breasts, actually CAUSE sagging, block letting fluid drain from your breasts (leading to cysts) and a bunch of other negative things.

I've always just found bras uncomfortable, especially underwire bras, even though I've been told 'underwire is for support, it would be more uncomfortable if you didn't have it."

Is there an actual medical reason to wear one, or is it just a question of social norms?

[ 04-03-2010, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: Spelaea ]

Posts: 4 | From: Earth | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To my knowledge, there isn't a broad medical reason for wearing bras, no.

However, many women, myself included, do find *not* wearing bras to be extremely uncomfortable. For quiet a few women, mostly those with larger breasts, not wearing bras (or not wearing properly fitting bras) can cause back, neck, and shoulder pain. Don't even get me started on how much running without a bra can hurt!

Now, if you're more comfortable without a bra, then there really isn't a huge reason for wearing one. If you feel more comfortable with a lightweight thin, non-underwire bra, that's fine too. If you don't like your nipples showing through clothing, there are options other than bras.

Sagging has very little to do with bras or no bras, and much more to do with genetics, pregnancy, and breast feeding.

Ill fitting bras can do more harm than good, but I'd say that on the whole, the decision to wear a bra or not wear one doesn't really affect your health. If you'd rather not wear bras, there's no real reason to (particularly since they can be expensive!).

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.