Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Diva Cup quandaries?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diva Cup quandaries?
EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EliotDorian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a Diva Cup. It's a little more complicated than I thought! I still need to buy Diva Wash, the soap used to wash it CANNOT be fragranced, and the only unfragranced soap I have is antibacterial, which is also bad. And I refuse to wash myself with plain soap, so it looks like I'm just going to have to buy the Diva Wash! Also, it felt pinchy when I put it in, even though when I stood up, it stayed in place and everything, except it felt like I was getting a pap smear - it felt squeezy on my cervix (actually, my cervix feels like it's being squeezed at least at one point when I get my period, it always happens after wiping myself after I've peed for some reason). Then I got paranoid and took it out because the instructions said that if it pinched, it wasn't in properly. So now I'm secondguessing if I'm doing it right.
Also, if I washed my Diva cup in face cleanser that was ostensibly "mild" but is cooling because one of its ingredients is eucalyptus...that wouldn't have done too much damage, would it have? I intend to buy Diva wash, but I was just wondering.

--------------------
"What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if no one asks to see 'em?"

Posts: 87 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to buy the Diva Wash of you don't want to: you can also buy any unfragranced soap to use for this purpose. I also wouldn't worry about using your face wash for now.

If it felt pinchy like that, then yes, it likely wasn't in right, so just keep experimenting.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beckylein
Activist
Member # 33869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beckylein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a bit of a learning curve to those things, isn't there? What kind of fold are you using? When I first got mine, I was just doing the C fold, which, if I recall correctly, is the one the instructions recommend.

I found the punch down fold to be so much easier to get in correctly.

http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/453392.html?thread=4016400

Don't know if you've seen this or not, but I'd try experimenting with some different folds and see if you can't get one to work for you better than the others [Smile]

Good luck! Once you get it to work, you'll wonder why you ever used anything else [Smile]

--------------------
"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt; sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." ~Mark Twain

Posts: 59 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thequeen09
Neophyte
Member # 44795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thequeen09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My tips:

CUT OFF THE STEM. It's totally unnecessary and cause so much pain and the dreaded pinch. I waited a year and had purchased my second diva cup by the time I had realized this fact.

CLEANING. The live journal is definitely a great way to get tips. I use the Wash but when I'm low I boil my cup in a pot for 3 to 5 mins and add a drop of vinegar - also good practice for seasonal (3mth) cleaning of the DivaCup.

--------------------
you can never beat anyone who never gives up. - babe ruth

Posts: 7 | From: kentucky | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.