Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » New vegan .. no period.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New vegan .. no period.
charliecat
Neophyte
Member # 44586

Icon 5 posted      Profile for charliecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, board.

Over the past several months, I have transitioned to a more or less completely vegan diet; I have also done my best to eat more "whole" type foods, cutting out almost everything processed. So, like .. this hasn't been Boca, soda and potato chip veganism.

I have lost a considerable amount of weight, fast; which kind of baffles me, because I am actually eating much more food than I was prior to the switch--like .. a massive amount of vegetables and starchy/carb-filled delights. Enough to boggle my steak-loving boyfriend's mind. [Wink]

Part of the weight-loss, I'm sure, is due to a switch in birth control. I just finished my first pack of LoSeasonique--after being on regular old hormone-packed Seasonique for the last year and dealing with its wide variety of side effects and pill woes. The new pill has treated me well; minimal to no side effects. Fantastic!

But I just had a bit of a scare.

Placebo pill time rolled around .. and my period was .. almost non-existent. I'd call it spotting at best. This is unheard of for me, since I suffer from endometriosis (which is why I'm on the three-month pill to begin with), which (pill or no pill) has given me years of painful, gushing periods.

Immediate reaction .. "Oh wow--the reason I've had so side effects because the new pill isn't working. I'm so totally knocked up."

Two frantic, negative pregnancy tests later, I'm beginning to doubt that pregnancy is the issue.

So, my question is .. What's wrong with my body and how do y'all suggest I fix it?

Hahah--that's a tall order, for sure. But I am curious .. and concerned that I might not be fulfilling my nutritional needs with my new diet.

I have been feeling somewhat "off" recently, which also contributed to the pregnancy scare. I've suffered from nausea, fatigue, headaches, bloating and a bit of abdominal cramping.

If not pregnancy, is there a vitamin deficiency that these are tell-tale signs of? I've been taking a One A Day women's multivitamin, but I'm guessing that might not be enough.

Other than the recent on-set of the "pregnancy like" symptoms, I've felt great on the vegan diet; my self-image has improved, mild depression quickly disappearing, etc.

Heh--this is kind of rambling. Sorry. I just woke up and took my second pregnancy test; also haven't had my morning coffee yet.

Anyway .. what do y'all think? I'm about to phone my GYN to discuss the issues with her, but, due to a busy work schedule, I may not be able to make it into the office until early next week. So I'm interested to hear what input you guys have.

So ..

Any other vegans out there who have experienced the mysterious "not period," even while on a birth control pill?

What could be the culprit--if not pregnancy?

Think it's the weight loss, coupled with a simple seasonal virus that's causing the other symptoms (nausea, headaches, stomach trouble--I have been "sniffly" and coughing a bit)?

Ah well .. I'm not completely forgetting the possibility of a pregnancy, either. I know the at-home tests can sometimes be unreliable. My major concern is that, if I am pregnant, I could be up to 13 weeks .. and have unknowingly been chowing down on hormone pills and drinking beers and copious amounts of coffee in the meantime. I've put all that on hold for the moment .. at least until I get a proper test at the doctor's office.

Sorry again if this is rambling and incoherent. Brain not functioning yet. [Wink]

Posts: 1 | From: Missouri | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess would be that you're making a lot of changes all at once, so I wouldn't be surprised if your body is a little confused. You body is adapting to the dietary changes and the difference in the pill formulation, and the weight loss...and if you've been ill as well...well that's just one more thing to add to the confusion.

Home pregnancy tests are quite reliable when they're taken correctly. So if you've been testing at least 10-14 days after a risk and are following the directions, then you've got no reason to not trust the results (especially if you've gotten 2 negatives). You absolutely can get a test from your doctor if you want that additional reassurance.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paper towel
Activist
Member # 39124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paper towel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I experienced a lot of the same things you did when I went vegan. I felt really dizzy all the time and I started to act a little nutty (by which I mean completely bat poop crazy) so I had to stop after six months. I hope it works out better for you, though! Go, vegans!
Posts: 52 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing to know with your stomach complaints: if you're adding a lot of soy, not everyone does so well with soy (and that can be a particular issue for women b/c of the phytoestrogens), especially if you're not used to it or so much of it.

So, if you are going soy-crazy, you might try switching out some of your dairy substitutes for rice, nut or hemp-based replacements and see if that helps.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.