Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Jaw popping during kissing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jaw popping during kissing
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've noticed this for a few years, so it's not a new issue, but I just thought to inquire about it.

Whenever I open my jaw too wide, it pops out of place. It will pop back into place when I close it, but the popping is a bit uncomfortable (not painful, just a weird sensation), so I try to avoid it. It's completely possible to avoid, except in one situation: kissing.

Any open open-mouthed kissing will inevitably lead to my jaw popping, and staying popped until the kiss is over. And the longer it's out of place, the more uncomfortable it gets to pop it back into place. I sometimes get nervous that it won't pop back into place, but it hasn't ever done that.

Anyway, this all makes for a pretty stressful make-out environment, and I don't know what I could do, save for the obvious: stop kissing. I'd rather avoid that if possible though, =)

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penwords
Neophyte
Member # 34602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penwords     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest talking it over with your dentist. S/he might be able to figure out what exactly is causing it. I had trouble with my jaw popping a while back, my dentist suggested I might be stressing it out with excessive gum chewing, jaw clenching, and ice crunching. Cutting out those things helped quite a lot.
Posts: 24 | From: MI | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penwords:
I'd suggest talking it over with your dentist. S/he might be able to figure out what exactly is causing it. I had trouble with my jaw popping a while back, my dentist suggested I might be stressing it out with excessive gum chewing, jaw clenching, and ice crunching. Cutting out those things helped quite a lot.

Hmm, crap. I don't have a dentist actually, haven't been since I was about 8 (I'm 19 now), my mom just stopped paying for dental insurance one day, guess she didn't think it was important.

I don't chew gum often or crunch ice (Heavens no @.@ My sensitive teeth are aching at the thought), but I probably clench my jaw harder than is necessary. I'll try to stop that.

Did your jaw stop popping or just pop less after those things?

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penwords
Neophyte
Member # 34602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penwords     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't been to the dentist since you were eight, you might want to go in just for a good once over and teeth cleaning anyways.

I haven't had a problem with my jaw popping in years. I'm not exactly sure why it stopped. I did make an effort to stop clenching my teeth so much (I found I did it like crazywhen standing in line or driving) and gave up gum for a while. My unconfirmed suspicion is that the popping had something to do with having my wisdom teeth out and that as my mouth shifted around a bit it stopped again. I have no idea if that's true or not though.

Try googling TMJ (Temporomandibular joint disorder) for some more information about jaw-popping and grinding.

Posts: 24 | From: MI | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acgal
Neophyte
Member # 36192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acgal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I would pop jaws all the time. So you're not alone! haha

I was actually talking to my dentist and he said that jaw popping is a possible sign of a cavity. So whenever my jaw popped I had to let him know.

There are probably a million reasons why jaws pop. haa

Posts: 35 | From: NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LacieC
Activist
Member # 33142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LacieC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm I don't know why I had double post when I edited. Sorry

[ 12-23-2007, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: LacieC ]

Posts: 108 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LacieC
Activist
Member # 33142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LacieC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have lived with TMJ since I was in my early teens. I have had dentists that don't believe me and really messed my jaw up and now have one that is great. If you know how far you can open your mouth without it popping then that is as far as you should open it. Every time you pop it out and back in you risk it not going back into alinement.

Long story short you really need to see a dentist so that you don't damage the joint more.

***Just a note as to the dentist that didn't believe me....he was an oral surgon and was removing my wisdom tooth from my lower jaw and used a wedge thing to keep my mouth open and then pressed on my lower jaw so hard it took me over 5 minutes to slowly and carefully work my mouth shut...it was sooooo painful. If it is the early signs of TMJ you have to be very careful.

******The only real way to know what is going on though is to speak with a dentist.*******

[ 12-23-2007, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: LacieC ]

Posts: 108 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iluvetherealworld509
Neophyte
Member # 43490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iluvetherealworld509     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pixeldot:
So I've noticed this for a few years, so it's not a new issue, but I just thought to inquire about it.

Whenever I open my jaw too wide, it pops out of place. It will pop back into place when I close it, but the popping is a bit uncomfortable (not painful, just a weird sensation), so I try to avoid it. It's completely possible to avoid, except in one situation: kissing.

Any open open-mouthed kissing will inevitably lead to my jaw popping, and staying popped until the kiss is over. And the longer it's out of place, the more uncomfortable it gets to pop it back into place. I sometimes get nervous that it won't pop back into place, but it hasn't ever done that.

Anyway, this all makes for a pretty stressful make-out environment, and I don't know what I could do, save for the obvious: stop kissing. I'd rather avoid that if possible though, =)

Hi pixeldot,

You should check out in getting a mouth guard. I am in no way suggesting that this will be an absolute cure for if you suffer from "TMJ" (Still see a doctor), but this will be a short-term solution to alleviating your jaw pain/popping and protecting your teeth from grinding/clenching any further. I ran into similar trouble as you did .. during my "make-out sessions" haha.. I research night guards online and found a decent one from totalgard.com

Dave

--------------------
Shelby

Posts: 1 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have TMJ. It gets annoying when kissing and eating and such, but it's pretty easy to live with. I don't have a mouth guard, because I can't afford one really, but I do suggest one if you can get one.

Tips: Stop chewing gum. I used to chew gum a lot and it made TMJ so much worse. I used to acidentally pop my jaw out of place and then it would get stuck. I once went 3 days ithout being able to open my mouth wider than finger. Once I stopped chewing gum on a regular basis, however, I havent had that issue.

I clench my teeth when I sleep, which is hard to avoid, so that is where the mouth guard would come in handy. Defintely see a dentist. They'll know exactly what to do.

Posts: 28 | From: Aus | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
omegadltalpha
Neophyte
Member # 44051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for omegadltalpha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's most likely that you have TMJ, which I also have. You should go to the dentist as soon as possible and they will possibly send you or suggest an oral surgeon.

And since some people are suggesting mouth guards, I'll just go ahead and say that though they do work most of the time, in some cases it doesn't. I got a mouth guard and it actually popped my jaw out of place so bad it was locked close for almost 2 months and I then had to get arthrocentesis to help the joint release. It didn't really help but it eventually unlocked though now I have a horribly loud crack when I open my mouth.

But yes, I suggest you stop chewing gum since that will make your jaw hurt even worse and depending on how young you are it may even begin to go away on its own, though not completely.

Posts: 14 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have that problem every now and then, where my jaw catches over on the left. Every few months, for a few days, I have trouble eating. I have to remember to "unlock" it before opening, or else the pain is crazy xD
Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
initium
Neophyte
Member # 43943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for initium         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem like this too! It's been this way for >2 years... Haven't had any problems kissing [Razz] But sometimes I can't eat properly.

I don't have a regular dentist, but the doctor I went to said it's a partially dislocated jaw (! - what a phrase to use), is normal, and is nothing to worry about. So I've kinda gotten used to it - it's just a physical quirk, like different-sized eyes/breasts. [Razz]

P.S.: Although yeah, at times it hurts like hell :/

Posts: 35 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.