Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » PMS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PMS
Clarice
Neophyte
Member # 43246

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Clarice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I was wondering if I am likely to be going through PMS at the moment, and if so, how I can downplay the symptoms because I feel really disgusting right now and feel sympathetic for the people around me.

I am expecting my period on the 8th, and starting a few days ago or so, I started feeling crappy. I noticed I am extremely bloated, experiencing a bit of an acne breakout, and can't stop eating. My libido is through the roof right now, but I doubt anyone wanted to know that. My emotions seem to be all over the place, and I feel more stressed out and anxious than usual and like I can't concentrate very well. I was in an argument yesterday and was meaner than I typically am. I am usually very polite and nice, even while annoyed. I literally cried because someone I was talking to had to get offline. I just feel like a basket case.

I know nobody here is a psychic, but is this likely to be PMS? Or am I just going crazy right now, physically and emotionally? Also, how do you handle PMS symptoms? I normally wouldn't care so much about something natural like this, but I am expecting company and have a recital coming up in a day and don't want everyone seeing my huge bloated stomach, and more importantly, my annoying emotional breakdowns. Thanks.

Posts: 25 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does sound like PMS. Unfortunately, there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution, but there are a few things you can try.

Exercise can help, and making sure you're getting enough sleep goes a long way as well. You might find that reducing your caffeine, salt and sugar intake is helpful too. Make sure you have the chance to take some time for yourself, too, even with company coming. Stress definitely doesn't help PMS!

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5730 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalex
Activist
Member # 43486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get similar symptoms sometimes when I am premenstrual. The acne, the moodswings, definitely the eating (CHOCOLATE!), and the anxiety sound quite familiar.

Karybu's suggestion to take some time for yourself works well for me. It doesn't need to be a lot of time, just enough to re-center yourself. I like relaxing with a book or a good show, and listening to my favourite singers. Cuddling with my dog always makes me feel better, so if you have a pet I'd recommend that.

Also, I'd suggest running a hot bath with or without bubbles. It's very relaxing and private, so it gets you away from stress triggers. When I'm breaking out before and during a period, I like to use face masks. You can get them at most stores, but I usually just make one since they're really simple. Basically I mix a little honey with sugar so it has a nice scrubby quality, maybe add a bi of lemon juice, apply it, leave it for a few minutes, then rinse it off. It tastes good, too.

I hope your PMS goes away soon!

Posts: 52 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.