Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Improving your body image

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Improving your body image
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
With all the media that's surrouding us and sending us messages, it's sometimes difficult for some of us to keep a positive image of our own body.

For some, it might be something that comes naturally but for others, it's something they have to learn.

So, how do you feel about your own body image ?

What helps you personnally keep a positive body image ?

[ 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slimshorty11
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Until recently, I hadn't even thought about how I feel about my body for a long time. I used to hate it, but eventually I accepted my body as one complete whole, as opposed to just a bunch of flawed parts. Now, I'm realizing that my health is my number one concern in my life, and I want to work out and eat right, but I don't know where to start, especially because I have PCOS. Exercise has always been the sort of thing where it was something I did if I hated my body. Now I don't but I know I have to do it.

With that said, as much as I still have "fat days," I still like my body [Smile] I like my calves, my chest, my shoulders, and I can definitely say there is more of me that I like than what I don't like. I actually was reading a book on fashion the other day, and the author had the reader do an exercise where they had to name 3 parts they considered flawed and 3 they liked. The idea that any part of me was flawed had not crossed my mind in a long time!

So, things aren't bad [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vshanti
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 43159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vshanti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good thread [Smile]

I'm happy to say that I am feeling pretty great about my body, as of late. Nothing on the outside happened, in particular, to heal the negative body image I used to have; I think I just got tired of being so hard on myself, and realized it was getting me nowhere. I used to be bulimic, and even after I had managed to break the binge/purge cycle I still restricted food (I followed a vegan diet) and thought about it a lot. Slowly, though, I've been able to reintroduce foods that I previously thought of as "bad," like bread and sweets, in moderation. Now I'm vegetarian, I eat a balanced diet and-- best of all-- I only think about food when I'm hungry, and I can stop eating when I'm full. It is such an amazing, liberating feeling not to be counting calories or worrying about the size of my stomach. And it's magical-- now that I've stopped obsessing about my body or perceived flaws, I feel better in my own skin than ever before.

Keeping my own "Body Book" really helped raise my self esteem. I bought a journal and, instead of pasting in cut-outs of models from magazines, I made an effort to find images of role models and mentors, kind notes from friends, and basically anything that made me feel good about myself. The end result was a book full of strong, empowering women of all shapes and sizes, positive messages, and reminders of how loved I am in this world as a human being, not just a physical body. Then, whenever I was feeling vulnerable or insecure, I could look at my Body-Book and remember that I'm awesome. [Smile] I would recommend that exercise for anyone who could use a little extra support. It might seem like too much work, but it's fun, and the end result is more helpful than you might think.

--------------------
Vanessa

I believe in the radical possibilities of pleasure, babe...
I do, I do, I do.

Posts: 140 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.