Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Doctor Woes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doctor Woes
BlackCat
Neophyte
Member # 43279

Icon 9 posted      Profile for BlackCat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I just came back from my second gynaecological exam ever. The last time was a couple of years ago and didn't go over too well since I freaked out and didn't get any exam done. Having not been sexually active at the time I didn't really worry about it too much.

This time, the same thing happened. I started absolutely bawling before I could even open my legs. I'm more sexually active now and this is starting to worry me. Not only that, but it's been about two hours now and I haven't really calmed down much, I've still been crying on and off and mentally my stability isn't so much.

I've never been sexually assaulted and I don't know why I can't handle a doctor's visit. The doctor herself doesn't make me uncomfortable. And the only other medical thing that makes me panic is needles, though I'm worse with those.

Any advice? I really think I should get an exam done before becoming any more sexually active. Not to mention I think I have a yeast infection.

Posts: 14 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I'd say that if a patient starts bawling, you just don't do an exam that day, period. So -- especially if that is not what happened -- even how a given doctor is approaching this could very understandably be a source of your fears and bad experiences.

What I'd suggest is being very clear with an OB/GYN before you see them that you are a nervous or anxious patient. I'd describe how you have responded before, and just have a conversation with your healthcare provider about how they are going to manage that during your exam. You don't have to know why you feel this way as much as you just need a way to work through it.

(Though if you want to talk to try and figure out why, we certainly can do that.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackCat
Neophyte
Member # 43279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackCat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had the same doctor both times, and both times she's told me if I get uncomfortable, just tell her to stop and she will. Which is what happened both times before she could even start the pelvic exam.

I was obviously nervous before she even came in, and expressed that and she was super nice and tried to calm me down by talking about mundane things. While I totally appreciate her attitude I do not appreciate mine.

I guess I don't care why as much as how to work through this, yes. Do you have any suggestions? I can't imagine this is normal, but at the same time I can't imagine this kind of situation is so rare it's unheard of. . .

Thanks for your reply, by the way.

Posts: 14 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BlackCat, might you consider a short-action anti-anxiety drug like Diapam/Valium? GYN's are usually pretty good about prescribing a few before a procedure that makes a patient nervous, and I've popped a few before visits with good success.
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lauren's suggestion is a good one, and also a fairly common practice with anxious patients for any kind of healthcare.

I don't know if I'd say anything about this being normal or not normal, but it certainly is common for people to feel very nervous or scared about sexual/genital healthcare. Even without any kind of trauma in the past, you've got all kinds of social messages about genitals being private, and a lot of people also (validly) have anxiety about people not close to them touching their bodies or certain body parts.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.