Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Question, and advice, perhaps?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question, and advice, perhaps?
plimflim
Neophyte
Member # 43478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plimflim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi friends.
I'm sixteen years old, male, and I was hoping that this community could help me out, and maybe give me a bit of advice.

I was born with an undescended testicle, and within the first few months of my life, it seemed to have dissolved without any effect. So, I've grown up with just one testicle, and I believe that this has been the root of several self-esteem and inferiority issues that I have.

I am in no way near a sexual relationship, but I thought I'd bring up my concerns.

If were to be in a romantic/sexual relationship (I'm assuming it's bound to happen sooner or later), what would be the best way to introduce this to my girlfriend, so that she is not completely taken by surprise?

I'm not even sure if this is an uncommon condition.

So, how would you approach your partner in this sort of hypothetical situation? Or, how would you react if you found this out about your partner?

Thanks,

Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I'd probably not think much about this. Remember that bodies are different and are rarely "perfect." (I say "perfect" because that's a very relative term.) We've all got parts and pieces that don't match up with the textbook...whether that's birth marks or scars we've picked up along the way or whatever...

So for me, if my partner had this I probably wouldn't react much at all. If my partner is happy and healthy, then it doesn't matter to me what his bits look like.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plimflim
Neophyte
Member # 43478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plimflim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's perfectly fair.

I definitely appreciate your answer, but I'm still not sure whether it would be wise to keep this information to myself, or to confront my [hypothetical] partner about it before hand.

I'm sorry to be persistent, but this is a huge part of my life, and I just don't know how I would approach the topic, if at all.

I'd like to ask another question as well, regarding the same subject; On occasion, friends of mine [both male and female] will make cracks about irregular numbers of testicles, and, as they have no knowledge of my condition (for lack of a better word), this is extremely uncomfortable, I'm wondering if it's wise to keep pretending that I am just as endowed as they are?

I mean, sometimes, they would/might make a comment about one testicle being lower than the other. Is this situation an opportunity to reveal myself? Or would it just make so much more sense to avoid the intense awkwardness by just saying "oh, yeah, my left one hangs lower"?

Intense awkwardness is quite the understatement, isn't it?

Again, I apologize for pestering like this.
Thank you so much.

Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey plimflim.

You probably already know this from talking with your doctor, but in cases where one testicle doesn't descend, the remaining one picks up the slack; there's no difference in testosterone level between the average 1-testie guy and the average 2-testie guy. You're still fertile, etc.

So as far as confronting your friends, maybe cutting through the humor with some straight information might be effective? I don't know what your friends are like so you'll have to use your best judgment, but hopefully a "Hey man, listen, it's not cool" type of tone will grab their attention. A lot of people won't think much of making jokes when the group it applies to isn't in the room, but will quickly feel embarrassed if they realize they've been heard by the target group. (Of course, some people are just jerks, too.)

As far as a sexual partner goes...

I had a male partner once who also only had one testicle, also from birth. I think we'd been having sex for two months or so before he finally just TOLD me that he only had one, because I hadn't noticed. Granted, I was pretty young(er) and inexperienced--I would probably notice now, although it wouldn't jump out at me. Anyway, I understood it mattered to him and I listened to him talk about it and offered my support, but outside of that it wasn't really an issue. Having had other male partners now, I can't say that him having one testicle made any difference in a sexual way. Not trying to be the girl who comes along in all my glory and says it's okay because I think so, but I thought maybe one person's relevant narrative would help.

As far as telling a partner... If it's someone you trust to respect you, well- if you're already planning to get naked and silly together, you'll hopefully be open enough to discuss intimate details like protection, where you like to be touched, how you like to be touched, etc. As long as you feel safe, I'd say it's a positive thing to say, "Hey, there's some things about my body I feel insecure about; here's what you can expect..." Your partner is going to have insecurities about her body, too; you could do a good thing by opening up communication. Of course, it's completely up to you--your information to share. Just keep in mind that if you don't want to share, she may notice and ask anyway, so it's sort of a which-is-less-awkward-for-you type of deal.

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plimflim
Neophyte
Member # 43478

Great, thanks!

This has all been helpful, and, for the most part, reassuring, and that's just what I was looking for.

Thanks again.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.