Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Vitamins with irregular period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vitamins with irregular period?
ToughToffee
Activist
Member # 39608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToughToffee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I began taking the One a Day Teen Advantage pills a few days ago. I know they have more iron than the boy ones for your period (18mg/100% daily value as oppesed to 9mg/50% in the boy ones), but my periods are quite irregular (like 2-3 times a year) so is it okay to keep taking them or should I cut it down to every other day to be safe?
Also, is there a way to keep them from irritating my stomach without a big meal? Twice I have thrown it back up due to not eating enough food beforehand.

Posts: 46 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry your post sat for awhile, Kya.

Iron supplements or multivitamins with lots of iron in them can be quite irritating to the stomach. Have you tried taking them at a mealtime, so that you're already eating more than a snack? You could also look for a supplement with a lower iron content - chances are, if you're eating a reasonably healthy diet, you don't need 100% of your iron from a vitamin pill, as you'll get it from other sources.

As to your irregular periods, I notice that you've posted before about this. Have you been to see a gyn about this yet? They'd also be the best person to ask about whether you need all that iron if you're only menstruating a few times a year.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ToughToffee
Activist
Member # 39608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToughToffee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yea i scheduled a gyn appointment a while ago... im going next month when school's out =]
I began taking them once every other day (so the iron dosage is more like the male version) and with lots of food. My mom gets sick like that with vitamins as well.
Also... I don't know if I should start a new topic, but I strongly suspect I have pcos. I am going to discuss this with the gyno, but I just want your input/experiances. I have of thick black hair on my neck/legs/arms/stomach/back, veryy irregular periods, sharp pains in my pelvis, and problems with low blood sugar/reactive hyopglycemia. Also I have skin tags which I have seen are also symptoms. What bc have you seen work the best in this situation? I have heard good things about Yaz...

Posts: 46 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.