Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » A kind of weird question about insufficiently lubricated sex and yeast infections.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A kind of weird question about insufficiently lubricated sex and yeast infections.
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the 15th, My boyfriend and I had sex, and did not use enough lubrication.

Now, this has happened before. For quite a while, I've had a hard time figuring out whether or not we've used enough until it's too late. Then, I'll spend the next couple days sore and rubbed slightly raw.

That happened that time, but it stayed for a long time. Eventually, I realized that it had started to feel more like when I had a yeast infection last spring. And sure enough, the day after I started the yeast medicine, it went away.

So my question is, is it normal for irritated genital skin to trigger yeast infections? Or was the fact that one came so soon after the other a coincidence?

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the genitals get raw, abraded or irritated, by all means they're more susceptible to ANY kind of genital infection. It's one of the things we mention often in the material on the main site about lube.

So, given this observation, why not figure it seems pretty clear you're NOT using enough lube, and err on the side of too-much (which really isn't even an error, it just might stain the sheets a bit more)?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm definitely going to start being more careful about the lube, but another question: I noticed in the drugstore, they keep the liquid lube over by the condoms, and the jelly kind by the feminine stuff, which (maybe inaccurately) has caused me to make the assumption that the jelly kind isn't designed for sex. Is that wrong? Because I don't like the liquid kind, I feel like it dries up too fast.

Also, I've read several sites as to how prevent yeast infections, and I follow nearly all the guidelines (Wear cotton underwear, wipe the right way, don't put perfume there), but I don't eat yogurt. Do you think if I started taking acidophilous (sp?) pills it might help? Or would I need the live, refrigerated lactinex ones?

Thank you!

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The jelly kind dries up EVEN faster, because it's thicker.

If you find water-based lubes vanish too fast for you, for one, that suggests you absolutely need to be using more lube, probably right from the start. But you also may want to try a silicone-based lube, and see how that goes for you. Those tend to last longer.

If you are getting reoccurring yeast infections, I would honestly start at your sexual healthcare providers office, with a full exam and a full health history. See what they say first: they may suggest dietary changes, they may find a different kind of infection is actually the deal or feeding this, any number of things, because the why of your infections may not fit all, you know?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.