Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Getting your tubes tied...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting your tubes tied...
Chae
Neophyte
Member # 38986

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Chae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm a twenty-one year old girl who DOES NOT want kids. Ever. Yes I'm aware that's a huge statement and yes, everyone I know says I'll change my mind. I absolutely don't believe that, but I'm not stupid enough to do anything hugely drastic like getting my uterus removed... However, I'm highly interested in something more drastic and permanent than pills and condoms. I don't know a whole lot about the pill, but I know when I start having sex, I definitely don't want to use a condom. It just takes away the whole experience for me. And yes, I'd do the whole STD testing thing before letting anyone screw me without a condom, don't worry. Anyway... The main thing I've been thinking about is getting my tubes tied, but I've heard that can not only jack up your general health and balance, but lower your libido as well, and potentially a lot of other issues. Has anyone here gotten their tubes tied, or knows people who have? I'm curious if it's really all that bad, and is it generally saved for people with health risks? I'm doubtful any doctor would even do such a procedure on me given my age... I know a girl a year older than me who wanted a hysterectomy, but was refused everywhere, for that reason. Anyway... I'm just curious about any comments or suggestions. I can't ever get pregnant because I believe abortion is wrong, and I cannot stress how much I do not ever, ever, want to have kids. Help!

~ Chae

Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A hysterectomy and a tubal ligation are two very different procedures with very different effects. It's hysterectomy which causes hormonal changes, and which often has the effect of things like decreased libido, vaginal dryness and mood changes. A tubal just prevents eggs from being released, it doesn't change your hormonal cycle or overall body function in any way: women with tubals still usually have periods and and otherwise normal hormonal cycle. Removing the uterus and tying off the fallopian tubes have little to do with each other, save that both uterus and tubes are part of your reproductive system.

It is rare to find a physical who will do a tubal for someone as young as you are, but it's not impossible: some of those doctors are out there, you just have to shop around. If you can't find them, at the least you may be able to find a doctor who will tell you to come back in a few years after you've been sexually active, gotten more informed about other methods of birth control which are very effective but less permanent, or thought about it a little while longer. You may also need to save up for it a while as well: tubal ligations are expensive.

An additional thing to bear in mind? Even if you don't want to use condoms, some of your partners might. It's also a bit presumptive to talk about the effect condoms have on sex when you haven't had sex or sex with condoms yet.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horizon
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 35890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horizon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Heather beat me to it. [Smile] )

You're right, if you are considering a hysterectomy, they are generally performed on people with health issues like endometriosis or even cancer, but also for things like heavy periods. I don't believe it's very likely that you will find a doctor who will perform this operation for you if you don't have a major health concern and are fairly young. The complications can be a bit severe, as well. Some of the other volunteers may be able to fill you in better than I can here.

However, do keep in mind that pills and condoms are extremely effective. Condoms really don't take away any experience-- they are super thin and flexible. I'm assuming from your previous posts that you have never used them, but they are really not mood-killers.

Even the pill alone is something like 98%-99% effective, so if you relied solely on the pill for protection, (after a complete cycle, of course) then the chances of you getting pregnant are effectively nil, assuming your pills are taken on time without late or missed ones. And even then, if you believe you had a pregnancy risk, you could still obtain EC to prevent the pregnancy from occurring (it doesn't make an abortion take place). In short, a hysterectomy at your age is really an unnecessary procedure to prevent something that can just as effectively be stopped with a pill per day.

[ 06-27-2008, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Horizon ]

--------------------
-Kayla
Scarleteen Volunteer

"A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses." -Hippocrates

Posts: 755 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chae
Neophyte
Member # 38986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply! Now getting my tubes tied doesn't sound so bad... I definitely don't want all those physical issues to deal with, so if they're truly more associated with a hysterectomy, maybe it's not such a bad idea. It's all just informational right now; as like I said, I'm a virgin, but I want to be prepared by the time it actually becomes relevent. I think I'll start looking into doctors, to at least feel out the idea more seriously. I've never had any type of surgery so meh, but as I said... I want to be prepared. I honestly don't think I'd do anything until I was actually with someone though, and had discussed it with them. I'm perfectly aware that while I don't want kids now, I may once I fall in love, and of course, they might as well...

About condoms, the whole idea just turns me right off. *shrug* Of course if the guy wants to use them, there'll have to be cooperation, but as I do not intend to have sex with more than one person, I don't see why it would be an issue, except on my part, as I'm sure I won't end up marrying a virgin.

~ Chae

Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chae
Neophyte
Member # 38986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hysterectomies sound a little terrifying to me, not to mention permanent, which is why I was leaning more towards getting my tubes tied.

I guess taking a pill for it just seems so inadequate... And I hear horror stories of girls forgetting or getting pregnant anyway. I certainly wouldn't have trouble remembering, as you can tell, I'm definitely in no mood whatsoever to get pregnant. [Razz] But it just doesn't seem stable enough...

What exactly does the pill do?

~ Chae

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hysterectomies are not a method of birth control. They generally should only be suggested with things like severe uterine cancers, etc. In other words, hysterectomies are a medical treatment for illness (though sometimes SRS patients will also have them) not contraception.

We have lots of information on the pill at the main site, and you can start by looking here:Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill). By all means, it is not 100% and some women do become pregnant with perfect use, but a) they are rare and b) backing up with a secondary method -- The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method -- makes failure very, very unlikely.

We also have a whole section that is a walk-through guide to all current methods of birth control available for young people here: Birth Control Bingo!. There are methods which are more effective than the pill in both perfect and typical use.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVivian
Activist
Member # 38998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EVivian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I think it's rather patronizing to say to all women who are looking for a more permanent solution not to get pregnant, "Oh, you'll change your mind." I feel similarly to Chae in the regard that I don't ever want to have children. I've felt this way for as long as I can remember, and nothing is more insulting than people essentially telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about. While most girls look at babies and say, "Oh, they're so cute!", I feel no maternal instinct (nor anything positive) towards them at all. I don't mean to be rude at all, but this is honestly how I feel.

Yes, finding a doctor will likely be difficult, but I do not think that /no/ "responsible doctor" would perform this. I suggest speaking with your healthcare provider about your desire for long-term birth control (and why you're considering tubal litigation), and if they don't want to perform the procedure, ask them about other long-term methods of birth control which may be less drastic. Heck, start looking them up yourself now (the link Heather provided you with is quite useful).

Posts: 71 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djynnjah
Activist
Member # 20056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djynnjah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's Essure, which I've only just heard about, so pardon me not having all the info at my fingertips. As an alternative to tubal ligations, it sounds interesting, and I've heard of a few younger people getting it done.

--------------------
What don't kill you is a learning experience.

Posts: 65 | From: Caribbean | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I agree that it's patronizing, for sure. I also agree that a doctor who performs a tubal for a young woman who wants one is not being irresponsible in doing so.

Trouble is, we're in the minority with that opinion, and to boot, even doctors who might agree also have to deal with the bottom line when it comes to lawsuits. Again, that doesn't mean one cannot find a doctor who will do so: it just usually means a lot of shopping around, and may mean being told to try other methods first, or at least be sexually active first (since the sexual experience may be a factor in someone's decision).

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

little sage
Neophyte
Member # 39163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little sage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dont they have a plastic thing that the doctors have to put in that is also removable?
Posts: 2 | From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djynnjah
Activist
Member # 20056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djynnjah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's likely an IUD - Intra-Uterine Device, which you can find on the chart here. Not recommended for younger women generally, due to risk of scarring and other things.

--------------------
What don't kill you is a learning experience.

Posts: 65 | From: Caribbean | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Extra, in-depth information about IUDs also lives here: Intrauterine Devices (IUD, IUC or IUS).

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.