Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » losing a few lbs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: losing a few lbs
dancer594
Activist
Member # 28917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dancer594     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello. to start out with, i know i am not fat. i just want to shed those few extra lbs that seen to sit right below my belly button. however, i am having trouble doing so. along with dancing for at least 1.5 hrs every day, i started to go to the gym and do cardio for 30-45 min/day and have started to eat healthier. however, i am not seeing any results. i am getting semi-frusterated. does anyone have any tips? thanks!
Posts: 65 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we generally don't promote weight loss if you are otherwise healthy, I can tell you that you won't see result right away. Depending on how long it's been, you may or may not see any change. Eating healthy is defintely a start, and is very important. However, you metabolism will also have an effect on how quickly you will see results. Needless to say, you likely won't see the results you want in only a few weeks. Patience and perserverence is the key; as well, fitness and health is a lifelong goal. You have to keep it up in order to maintain what you have/are striving for.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, it may be important to remember that you can't specifically wisk away fat from specific areas. You CAN do exercises specifically intended to target certain areas (crunches can help you build/tone muscle in your abdomen, leg lifts in your glutes and legs, etc.), but in general, weight comes off wherever the heck your body wants it to. So, while you might want to see results in your stomach, any changes you see may be in your behind, or thighs, or breasts, etc.

Being healthy is the far more important goal for anyone changing their eating habits and exercise, so focus on how good you feel doing those first, and you may be surprised to see what that changes about how you feel about your body one day, if you're not scrutinizing over the changes you're not seeing day to day. [Smile]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Additionally to that advice, I'd also suggest that you work on loving your body as it is. You say yourself that you are not overweight, and it sounds like you do HEAPS of exercise, so it sounds like your body is working just fine. Why not concentrate on what your body can DO for you, rather than on what it looks like?
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may also simply be as thin as you healthfully get.

In another post, you mentioned you're already a dancer, so it may well be that you are already very fit, and already simply look the way you look per your genetics.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also as you are exercising so much perhaps you are getting muscle losing fat so do not see a difference on the scales

also the important think is to be fit

a person can be very skinny but actually have a higher fat body percentage than a larger person it all depends on diet and exercise so if u are eating healthing and exercising you are fine

too tone stomach (it sounds like toning rathert than weight loss is what you relly want) dance is great and maybe do some crunces like even two reps of 15 or 20 a day

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI?

It's actually dangerous to suggest MORE exercise to someone who has made clear they're already doing two and a half hours of it each day at a minimum, which, as it is, is flirting with overexercising, which can take a toll on your health.

In fact, if the OP also isn't eating enough, and is doing that much exercise and her body is clinging to her normal weight, despire the added exercise, that may even be the case because her body is trying to protect itself.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i wasnt suggesting she did more

i meant that dance is great for all over workout and crunches will be more effective to tone than cardio sorry i didnt make that clear enough

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.